New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  09:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's your technical support from your dealer? Engine, Trans and Body. Do your dealers help you through problems on the phone, e-mail, personally come out and help? Be honest and no bashing please.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  1:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main reason we stayed with Thomas down home is the dealer for Southern Ohio. They handle pretty much all of the issues, but should a major Allison issue arrise, it would go to a place here in Columbus, haven't been there since 2002, but they were top notch.

Back to the Thomas dealer, it's been known to go both ways as to where the work is done, sometimes they come out, other times we've taken the buses to them. Really depends on the extent of the issue and the time it's going to take.

Phone is the primary remote-assistance used, and we couldn't have asked for better. That's a bunch of guys who will do whatever they can to help you out. The only reason that the 2007 MY C2 is tolerable!!!!

They twice have gone to bat with Caterpillar on our behalf due to catastophic engine failues only 2 and 5 months out of warranty, got Cat to pay 75% on those.

Word of mouth experience with Blue Bird's dealer has been positive overall, though distance plays a factor.

IC's dealer is a large truck dealer, and to be blunt, they can be some of the rudest and most inconsiderate people I've ever met.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 11/09/2009 1:11:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  1:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

The main reason we stayed with Thomas down home is the dealer for Southern Ohio. They handle pretty much all of the issues, but should a major Allison issue arrise, it would go to a place here in Columbus, haven't been there since 2002, but they were top notch.

Back to the Thomas dealer, it's been known to go both ways as to where the work is done, sometimes they come out, other times we've taken the buses to them. Really depends on the extent of the issue and the time it's going to take.

Phone is the primary remote-assistance used, and we couldn't have asked for better. That's a bunch of guys who will do whatever they can to help you out. The only reason that the 2007 MY C2 is tolerable!!!!

They twice have gone to bat with Caterpillar on our behalf due to catastophic engine failues only 2 and 5 months out of warranty, got Cat to pay 75% on those.

Word of mouth experience with Blue Bird's dealer has been positive overall, though distance plays a factor.

IC's dealer is a large truck dealer, and to be blunt, they can be some of the rudest and most inconsiderate people I've ever met.

That's the way a dealer should treat it's customers. Yes distance to the warranty shop is an issue as well. Freightliner/Thomas and IC will learn sooner or later that School Buses are vital to their business. There is a Ford dealer in Jasper that takes some of my customer and warranty work up north.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 11/09/2009 1:59:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  2:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the kind of dealer where the owner delivers the new buses himself. When ordering a part for one of our pushers, it wasn't unusual for the fellow in parts to just ask what number bus it was (we had 4 of them, all different years) and he remembered the thing well enough to track the right thing down!

You don't get much closer than that!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  7:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's old fashioned service! We used to get that at our local Allis Chalmers dealer when I grew up on the farm. You call and ask about a part and if it wasn't common to all the years of manufactur of that model they would ask you if it was the same one you always had. They wrote the S/N down on the front of their parts book.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  02:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our local IH dealer is just down the street and takes care of our IC bus problems in the service department very well (even though we have to buy them from the one IC dealer in our state which is an hour away). Our Customer Service Rep from IH is very effective. I have to say though that getting tech central and IH corporate people to respond on the more complex or design type problems has been a real challenge. From my perspective, the main reason we are successful is our great dealer and CSE. A similar situation exists with our Freightliner/Thomas buses. Our dealer placed a top level tech in a position to liason with the fleets. He is amazing and provides excellent customer support with technical information and quick warranty parts support for us which really helps bridge the distance gap (an hour) and avoids warranty work. Our Freightliner/Thomas buses with Mercedes engines are some of the most trouble free buses and require the least warranty work of any. If I had a problem with factory support, I wouldn't know it because I rarely if ever have to go to that level with Freightliner or Thomas. We do have have a Detroit/Allison service center within 40 minutes but we have not needed to use them a lot lately. We only have 4 older bluebirds and the main dealer for MD went out of business. Our local IH dealer is Bluebird also, but I haven't used them due to not having any Bluebird buses.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  06:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's hear more maybe it will catch on. I hope all our bus dealers read these threads. SBF should feature some of these dealers. Good and Bad, am I wrong?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  07:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Our Blue Bird dealer is about 7 miles away from us, they usually get us fixed up fast, not that we have that many issues, but if there is one they fix it, in pretty good time. When they are done with the bus, they usually wash it, unless we are in a hurry to get it back.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  2:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wash too! Man that's service.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  4:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not take my busses to the dealer. Most things I do in house except heavy engine and transmission. (not that I can't do it, one person just doesn't have the time with 17 buses)
I am going to name names. My dealer is Central States Bus Sales! In my opinion they are the best in the business! They (Kent & John) coach me through any problems I have right over the phone! I think I have sent one bus to their place in 16 years. I must say that my IC and Thomas dealers are good too. They are very curtious and try to solve any problems I have. By the way I have two units each of IC and Thomas.

Of course parts and sales are right up there too. In fact the salesman at Central States (Joe) will go out of his way to make sure things are going smooth for me.

Told you I was going to name names.

By the way in Illinois we have to bid new busses. If BB dosen't get the bid I am forced to deal with the others. Not exactly what I want to do but I will do it, it is my job.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  6:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

By the way in Illinois we have to bid new busses. If BB dosen't get the bid I am forced to deal with the others. Not exactly what I want to do but I will do it, it is my job.

Who writes the specs for those new buses?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  7:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each school district.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  7:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Each school district.

Well then, it should not be a problem for a savvy specification writer
windshield specification.... 2 or more piece roped in design with non overlapping windshield wipers.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 11/11/2009 02:58:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  05:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  06:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:

Each school district.

Well then, it should not be a problem for a savvy specification writer
windshield specification.... 2 or more piece roped in design with non overlapping windshield wipers.

LOL

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  11:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't laugh...a nearby school district writes into thier bids for the FE product that they must have a 2-peice, curved windshield just to keep Thomas EF at bay!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 11/11/2009 11:33:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  1:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen specs where the district specs "windsheild wiper control on turn signal stalk" which unfortnatley keeps the Blue Bird Vision/All American out of possiblity because Blue Bird has the wipers situated on the right side of the collumn on its own stalk.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  1:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Careful with forcing bids like that, on a large enough order you might screw yourself. I've seen options for AmTran conventionals with overhead wipers (and Thomases with bottom-mount), which I'm sure are super-reliable. I remember years ago Fairfax County VA tried to force AmTran REs out of the bid, but AmTran accomodated their specs like "No overhead switches" and "Toggle-style door switch" and still came in lowest.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  1:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know nothing of these specs that the different corps have. Do they change every time or how does that work. I have saw bids go through with extra tires, cameras, GPS equipment, even scanners. You guys should make them get you tools, and some diagnostic software when ordering a few buses. Especially if you are getting today's engines.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  3:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

Careful with forcing bids like that, on a large enough order you might screw yourself.

Lucky for them they only buy one bus ever other year or so!
Go to Top of Page

mik

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  06:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Support from IC ( 12 miles away ) good
Bluebird , (90 miles away) , no comment .
Bluebird across the state ( 400 miles )good .
Thomas (120 miles away ) Good
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  08:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mik

Support from IC ( 12 miles away ) good
Bluebird , (90 miles away) , no comment .
Bluebird across the state ( 400 miles )good .
Thomas (120 miles away ) Good

I didn't see "Excellent" in there anywhere.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  06:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Browsing Monster.com results.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

lonebustech

United States
79 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  10:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 IHC dealers with in 20 miles of us and both have problems fixing things the first or even the second time
Boils down to no one takes pride in the job any more

22 Buses,18 support vehicles,Grounds equip, buffers and vacuums for 9 campuses. 1 Tech. and 2 bays ain't life grand
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  12:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lonebustech

I have 2 IHC dealers with in 20 miles of us and both have problems fixing things the first or even the second time
Boils down to no one takes pride in the job any more

With times being hard and jobs being cut...they better get with it. Enough complaints to IC/HQ and the gestapo will be stepping in.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  1:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added some bluebird, Vision and GMCV pdf files at the site www.nixbus.com more to come.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000