Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  09:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also it appears its got a standard flat floor, thus the 4 step stair well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  10:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It appears that LAP belts are standard, not 3-point. And no, I don't want to revive the seat belt debate in this thread, I only want to clarify what they're offering as standard equipment. The list of standard features is impressive compared to the Big 3, I'll give them that.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  1:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The standard belts seems a bit of marketing. My bet is that there is also a "Delete Belts" option & that the seat pricing will land similar once competitive specs are presented. Every manufacturer plays these games to drive bid spec authorship.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  3:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So how bout that goofy in-house light monitor... Is that incandesncent? Hard to tell if those odd shaped lights are LEDs or what. Standard spec or no? Where do you guys read all the standard specs on this?

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

old_school

United States
29 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  7:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit old_school's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HaHa..this bus kinda favors if the IC and the C2 got together and had a baby.

Edited by - old_school on 10/13/2010 7:42:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  10:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't need a cheap bus. I an willing to pay for reasonable quality.
I don't need body computers,traction control, a one piece glued in or curved windshield[ we operate on a large number of gravel roads
and the sand on the highway during the winter includes a large percentage of rock.]
We transport passengers, we do not need another truck. Let the suspension reflect the fact that we are not loading the suspension to the limit. That should help extend
the body life.
Install windows that will stay closed and only open when you want them to.
I don't need to have 2 hours work to get to the valve cover to do a 20 minute valve adjustment. I don,t need the ECU or the EGR cooler buried on the side of the engine inside the frame rail. KISS and make it servicable.Provide Service!

If they build a bus, TALK to the people in the industry that are the end users and the people that have to work on them. If you rely on engineers to design a bus you will end up with another piece of junk.
Don't waste our time if you can't build a better product.

Had 8 buses of 2 different chassis of a 60 bus fleet tied up for warranty today.
Sorry about the rant, it's been one of those days.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  2:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cal Mc... THANK YOU for saying what we, who are more interested in the bus providing service that looking pretty, are thinking.

Where I am from we need 20 years from a new bus. I think those days are over.
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Are there any interior shots of this bus yet?

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  4:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Mike, Yes.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=262309&id=95493799527
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  12:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

IF they actualy build and sell these things (and I think that is a HUGE if), at least it should help keep our dearest 3 others' prices in check, and if you've priced a type C lately you know how badly that is needed.

I commented earlier that it was a huge if to even get a prototype built, SHOWS YOU WHAT I KNOW.

I think that in itself deserves an apoligy on my part.

Sorry, I was wrong.

Now to your post, why would you say HUGE IF?

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this bus is going to meet harsh resistance in the marketplace, and why waste money on tooling and manufacturing if nobody will take a chance on it?

Kinda of hope I am wrong, I would like to see some price control back in the business.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  09:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

That thing looks no more solid than their commercial offering. Also, I don't want to hand any more of the US economy over to Toyota.

Not trying to stir anything up but Toyota manufactures more vehicles in the US than Ford or Chevy.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ That doesn't mean I can't vote "No" on the bus prop if my district ever goes with Starcraft.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  12:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C2FAN

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

That thing looks no more solid than their commercial offering. Also, I don't want to hand any more of the US economy over to Toyota.

Not trying to stir anything up but Toyota manufactures more vehicles in the US than Ford or Chevy.

No they don't. The big three, which includes GM and Ford built more cars than the others combined. GM and Ford accounted for the lion's share of the 5 million passenger vehicles built. Toyota including Hino did not build more than GM or Ford. Toyota, ASSEMBLED, cars in California and Kentucky as well as Cambridge, Ontario.

2008 Vehicles Built in USA
Ford - Vehicles including LCV (Light Commercial) HC (Heavy Commercial) 1.6 Million
GM - Vehicles including LCV HC 2.3 Million
Toyota - Vehicles including LCV HC 1.1 Million
http://oica.net/category/production-statistics/2008-statistics/

Living in Oshawa, GM Canada HQ and the largest GM factory(s) in Canada, I have a vested interest in keeping this one honest.

If you include Canada and Mexico the numbers are even higher.

Just for fun an interesting fact, Honda ASSEMBLED more cars in the USA last year than they did in Japan.

Honda built 236,819 in the States, compared to 236,559 in Japan.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/04/report-honda-builds-more-cars-in-u-s-than-in-japan-for-first-t/

Here is a great interactive map from the New York Times that shows manufacturing sites.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html

Here are 2008 figures by make and in each country. The 2009 figures would be slightly lower. GM and FORD outpaced Toyota for number of cars and trucks manufactured in the USA
http://oica.net/category/production-statistics/2008-statistics/

On a global scale, GM and Ford combined build more vehicles worldwide when you combine all of their companies.

Edited by - MorrisV2 on 10/20/2010 2:07:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  05:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many parts suppliers in MI that are glad that Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc are building cars in the Americas. Sure beats the shaft their competing parts suppliers got with the GM & Chrysler reorganizations. Ford has been the N American owned auto manufacturer bright spot, even if the do still mismanage the Lions.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MorrisV2

No they don't. The big three, which includes GM and Ford built more cars than the others combined. GM and Ford accounted for the lion's share of the 5 million passenger vehicles built. Toyota including Hino did not build more than GM or Ford. Toyota, ASSEMBLED, cars in California and Kentucky as well as Cambridge, Ontario.

I stand corrected! Awesome post, lots of good information there!

I grew up in MI and have lots of friends and family still living there. I would love to see the domestic auto makers continue their comeback.
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  11:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C2FAN

quote:
Originally posted by MorrisV2

Thanks, LOL. I did a bit or rearch on it.

I stand corrected! Awesome post, lots of good information there!

I grew up in MI and have lots of friends and family still living there. I would love to see the domestic auto makers continue their comeback.

Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  4:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will this be the same bus at NAPT? Or do they have more than one?
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  4:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starcraft won't be bringing their Type C to NAPT according to them.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  1:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it interesting that Starcraft didn't have ANY buses at NAPT.
Go to Top of Page

vbacon

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  6:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vbacon's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When the buses start down the assembly line, I think the model should be called the "Hinocraft." It would give the sense of having a good chassis with a cheap body.
Go to Top of Page

SteveCof00

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  7:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveCof00's Homepage  Send SteveCof00 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now that it's the new year, has there been any news on the Starcraft/Hino? Things seem to have gone really quiet about it.

http://schoolbusweb.proboards.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  05:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a full page ad in the recent 2011 SBF Fact Book. The Hino/Starcraft model is being called the "Guardian." I was thinking the same thing we sure haven't heard anything on this in a few months.
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  06:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who may have missed it the November issue of School Transportation News had a cover photo and article on the Starcraft Hino conventional including information on its production.
https://pubs.zipadi.com/stn-nov10

Ted

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  12:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whats the news on this? Haven't heard much about this since before NAPT last year.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  06:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone had posted in Rich's Lion Bus post a question about the progress of the HINO Starcraft.

I thought it might be better asked here.

Does anyone know if the Starcraft Hino is being built now? Are they taking orders?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000