New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  10:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several of these B7 chassis. I have been having trouble with the site glass breaking off at the threads lately for some reason. I called my Chevy dealer, like usual, and gave the last eight of the vin. He responded by saying that I would have to replace the whole resivor. I said try again, I am not doing that!! He looked a something else on his computer saying that it was an option that wasn't on my bus and described the screw in site glass to a tee. Cool!! I said, lay me one out. Oh, I don't have that in stock I'll have to order it. Well that doesn't do me any good now! What's the price? 22.50 he said. For a plastic part that is the size of a nickel?! Yep, you heard me right he said. Well I'll call you back if I want you to order it.

I have thought for a long time that this part looked like a site glass that I have seen on a farm tractor that I grew up on but never needed to check until now. So I got on the phone to the local AGCO (Allis-Chalmers) dealer. "Hey do you have one of those tranmission site glasses for a 7000 series Allis?" Sure do he said. "How much?" Let me see..... 10.81 he said. Cool!! I'll take one!! So I drove 30 miles one way this morning not knowing if it would work. Got back here and bingo it threaded right in!!! It is better than the last one I got from Chevy too. It is clear instead of shaded.

So I guess the moral of the story is, never give up and think outside the box.

So besides patting myself on the back the reason I am posting is to give everyone a heads up on this part. AGCO part #70265359 Site glass for the transmission on 7020, 7030, 7040, 7045, 7050, 7060, and 7080 Allis-Chalmers tractors manufactured starting in about 1975 and ending in the early 1980s.

Good Day!!

Edited by - bwest on 09/08/2009 12:19:16 PM

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  11:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will your bus need farm tags now?

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  12:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's according to which is cheaper!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can also try freightliner coolant tank sight glasses, about 9.00 can

I'D WOULD RATHER BE CUMMIN THAN STROKIN ! ! ! !
I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  1:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I have several of these B7 chassis. I have been having trouble with the site glass breaking off at the threads lately for some reason. I called my Chevy dealer, like usual, and gave the last eight of the vin. He responded by saying that I would have to replace the whole resivor. I said try again, I am not doing that!! He looked a something else on his computer saying that it was an option that wasn't on my bus and described the screw in site glass to a tee. Cool!! I said, lay me one out. Oh, I don't have that in stock I'll have to order it. Well that doesn't do me any good now! What's the price? 22.50 he said. For a plastic part that is the size of a nickel?! Yep, you heard me right he said. Well I'll call you back if I want you to order it.

I have thought for a long time that this part looked like a site glass that I have seen on a farm tractor that I grew up on but never needed to check until now. So I got on the phone to the local AGCO (Allis-Chalmers) dealer. "Hey do you have one of those tranmission site glasses for a 7000 series Allis?" Sure do he said. "How much?" Let me see..... 10.81 he said. Cool!! I'll take one!! So I drove 30 miles one way this morning not knowing if it would work. Got back here and bingo it threaded right in!!! It is better than the last one I got from Chevy too. It is clear instead of shaded.

So I guess the moral of the story is, never give up and think outside the box.

So besides patting myself on the back the reason I am posting is to give everyone a heads up on this part. AGCO part #70265359 Site glass for the transmission on 7020, 7030, 7040, 7045, 7050, 7060, and 7080 Allis-Chalmers tractors manufactured starting in about 1975 and ending in the early 1980s.

Good Day!!

Thanks for the tip! My parts guy is gonna s**t when I need another rez glass. LOL

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000