2010 Vision alarms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  6:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today was our first day of school and our 2010 Visions were out on routes for the first time. Among a laundry list of other things we dislike about them, one of the major complaints among the drivers was with the screaming alarm that comes on whenever the key is in the "on" position, but the engine is off. For example, when you are waiting for the "wait to start" light to come on, you have this screaming alarm going off. Also, when you are pre-tripping, you are supposed to turn the key to the "on" position, wait for the gauges to cycle, and then pump down the brakes, listening to see that the low air alarm comes on at 55-60 psi and that the parking brake knob pops out when it's supposed to. Well, with this alarm screaming at you the entire time, there is no way for you to tell if the low air alarm actually comes on when it's supposed to. I don't even see how a bus like this could pass a DMV inspection. A significantly important part of the pre-trip cannot be performed because of an alarm that is going off for seemingly no reason whenever the key is in the "on" position with the engine not running. Is there a way to program the bus so that this alarm is not screaming at you whenever the key is in the "on" position?

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  05:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The screaming alarm might be for low oil pressure, but is more likely because your amps or volts are too low. Perhaps the buses sat too long and have weak batteries? A lot of our '06 AAFEs will scream at you while saying "Alternator" on the dash LCD. Of course, the alternator won't be working if the engine is not running. I know what you mean about not being able to tell if the air brake alarm sounds at the right point. But, you can still see if the light comes on at the proper point and that screaming alarm is the same one for the air brakes. You could just pump the brakes down while the engine is running. Or, pump them down when the engine is not running, and watch for the alarm to turn OFF at 60 psi when the engine is running and pumping air back up.

If the engine is not running, the alarm will turn itself off after 30 seconds or so... that goes for the air brake, oil pressure, alternator, all of them. After that 30 seconds, you could pump down the brakes and get the alarm to turn back on and notice if it does it at the correct time.

And I know this will make your day: Blue Bird uses a yellow "Engine Warning" light for active fault codes. That light is accompanied by that same screaming alarm, and it does NOT turn off after 30 seconds since the engine would be running at that point. I had a turbo sensor fail (severe lack of power) and had that alarm accompany for a whole route.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the time hitting the ESC button on the wiper stalk will stop the screaming. Unless it is critical to the engine, trans or abs.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  09:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Most of the time hitting the ESC button on the wiper stalk will stop the screaming. Unless it is critical to the engine, trans or abs.

How would I go about installing such a button on my 02 Thomas EF?

I can sympathize Dave. I've been dealing with that for almost 2 years now, I usually do my pump-down with the engine running unless I have someone looking over my shoulder.
Go to Top of Page

mik

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe bluebird will get it right on the next computer reflash .
or copy Thomas .
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

How would I go about installing such a button on my 02 Thomas EF?

I can sympathize Dave. I've been dealing with that for almost 2 years now, I usually do my pump-down with the engine running unless I have someone looking over my shoulder.

I am not experienced in Thomas or IC. Does your bus have onboard diagnostics? There might be a button or sequence to read the message and then the alarm may stop. It depends on the programming. The software geeks should know this when designing these systems. Maybe a button to silence the alarm for 5 miniuts or so allowing you to limp the bus home without the alarm adding to the stress. See if you can get a copy of the service or drivers manual, maybe it has some info.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha! Where I come from, new buses were so rare that the drivers didn't mind a little quirk here and there! ;)
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  2:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, but I was joking. The alarm is I believe low oil pressure, which sounds whenever the key is on and engine is off. It's not a computer issue like the Visions, just the way my bus was designed.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

I usually do my pump-down with the engine running unless I have someone looking over my shoulder.

Phil, why would it matter if someone is watching or not? The pump down test works whether or not the engine is running, it just takes a little more effort when the engine is running. I can't see where there is any advantage, as far as identifying problems goes, in having the engine off while fanning off air pressure. The only time the engine needs to be off is for the leak test.

Is it just matter of strict procedure?

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  3:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

Is it just matter of strict procedure?

Yep. In CT, gotta do the pre-trip exactly the way the inspector wants you to.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  7:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same in Georgia. Remember, when dealing with the government, it's not important that the procedure is correct or makes sense, it matter wether you do the procedure exactly as outlined. If the inspector doesn't like the angle your hand is at when you put on the headlights, they can fail you if they feel so inclined. Luckily, the guy I took the test with was very reasonable so I didn't have to worry too much.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  08:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, sidebar...once had a new driver fail his pretrip because the parking brake was set when he was checking his front brake throws (air, done by pulling the slack with a gloved hand).

Yeah...figure that one out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000