New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  4:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off...for those that know who I am talking about, please keep it to yourself out of respect.

Background: Recently, at a school I refuse to name, a Freightliner FS65 with Hub-piloted disk wheels lost it's left rear outside wheel following a brake job (don't even get me started on how bad the brakes were or the failure to retighten the wheels).

So, as you are imagining, the studs and rims are extremely messed up. Driver asked when he might expect the bus back and was told they had sent the rims out for "re-holing" because they are too damn cheap to buy new or used replacements.

Did I miss something guys? Can I be the only one that this shoots a red flag sky-high?

nbates723

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  03:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit nbates723's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That wouldn't be my preferred method. Those wheels should be about $80 each, tops.
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  06:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LIABILITY,,,LIABILITY...!!!!!!those rims would be going to the bone yard, after a cutting torch made them useless!

I'D WOULD RATHER BE CUMMIN THAN STROKIN ! ! ! !
I.C no future!!

Edited by - wright11 on 05/13/2009 06:38:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's just stupid!! Why take the chance? We are transporting kids here not cargo. I wonder if this outfit that is repairing the rim knows it is going on a school bus. I can see a lawyer salivating now.

By the way, how are they going to repair it? In Illinois you can not have a welded rim.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  08:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take photos, for your records of the repaired rim. Also express your concern and have it noted on the repair order.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  08:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unreal...school dist owned bus? c'mon...

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like a fix we would do on the farm. ok for a hay wagon but no way on a school bus
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  09:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
make sure you cover your a**, something like this could bite you real hard, lots of pictures, documentation, emails from higher ups, COVER YOUR BUTT!!!

I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  12:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my drivers would just flat refuse to drive the thing if they knew anything about it.

Post some pictures here if you can. I am not saying I don't beleive you but, I find it hard to beleive that any reputable shop would make a repair like this. Are you sure this isn't a muffler bearing thing?

I just got so curious that I just called our local truck repair shop that deals with IH. (yea this is the same one I have been having trouble with) That being said I talked to their guys in the trailer shop. I thought if anyone would know about a repair like that then the trailer guys would. Anyway, they had never heard of the term "re-holing" but did say that a method is used where a machine shop will cut out a ring the size of the flate on the rim and then machine the correct bolt pattern in it then weld it on the rim.

This sounds like an accident waiting for a place to happen! Even on a trailer much less on a simi-trailer. Go figure.

This is strickly prohibited on a school bus in the state of Illinois. I can not say about your state.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  1:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I considered this possibly being a muffler bearing situation...but the fact remains that the rims are gone somewhere, so we will see. I wish I could get photos of this mess, but this isn't my employer, it's a friend's.

There are other stories I wish I could tell...the whole outfit is a disaster in the making.

I was always taught that you DO NOT EVER repair a rim. If they are damaged, they are done...end of discussion. Apparently these clowns don't see it that way.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  2:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a school district or a contractor?

Either way it doesn't matter, I was just curious.

The problem is that a rim is cheap when you are looking at: 1)DEATH 2)Severe injury 3)lawsuit 4)JAIL

Here's another way to put it. From a line in the movie National Treasure. Just replace "Had we lost the war" with "If the rim comes apart and kills someone"

]"Had we lost the war, they would've been hanged, beheaded, drawn and quartered, and oh my personal favorite, had their entrails cut out and burned!"

I really would like for you to keep up with this. I would be interested to know both sides of the story too. Maybe there is a logical explanation. I can't see it now but, maybe.

Bryan

Edited by - bwest on 05/13/2009 2:50:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  3:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Public school system with a horribly old and poorly maintained fleet. I believe their motto should be "Worst case scenerio, we kill somebody." I had the misfortune of being around one of thier 1992 models and I am amazed it's allowed to be used in the condition it is in.

Agreed, there are always multiple sides, but I too fail to see how this could be justified.
Go to Top of Page

wgloff

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  04:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit wgloff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will not pass a DOT inspection in NYS. Repairing rims is illegal here. I wonder about the liability.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  09:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simple solution for this. Pictures, video, and documentation showing the problems. Drop them in the mail anonymously to one of the more influential stations in the area during sweeps.

I know what district this is, only solution to be honest is contracting out. I doubt the issues will ever be fixed by new vehicles.

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call/mail the inspectors..... done deal. This is the kinda thing that if something happens it makes us look pretty darn bad.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Edited by - bbird66 on 05/14/2009 11:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  1:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am considering the more fun approach of entering the lot the night before annual state inspection and writing on the rims "I've been welded...see?" with a big arrow pointing right at the welds.

Yeah Rich, I figured you knew this one already. I hate to ever see a contractor take over, but it would be best for the kids.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 05/14/2009 1:12:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  2:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is the state inspection?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  5:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some time this summer...I'll have to do some real digging to find out exactly.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  4:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good news: Friday was the driver's last day, he's found an employer that doesn't have rickety deathtraps and shoddy maintenance practices.

The bad news is now I won't be able to get any photos of this nightmare. Oh well...I'll keep an eye on the local news for a major lawsuit when this thing flies apart.

A bright note is the possibilty that come January 2010, they are getting contracted out. Again, not usualy happy to see that happen, but it NEEDS to happen here. Very frightening place ladies and gents...be thankful everyday that you work where you do and not there.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 05/23/2009 4:11:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L.J.D

sounds like a fix we would do on the farm. ok for a hay wagon but no way on a school bus

I missed this quote until today. This is nearly word for word what I told the driver!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  7:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Repaired rims on 'on road' vehicles is illegal in Maine, however, I have had a front end loader wheel 're-holed', that is, the holes were machined out and inserts welded in by a machine shop. This was a $1600 wheel rim and a very good repair job 20 years ago and is still running today. The studs were replaced.

Truck and bus wheel rims are so cheap, even the 'heavy duty' rims that I buy, that it's not worth it.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  12:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School is out, summer school is in, and a little birdy told me that for some reason, the Highway Patrol paid a surprise visit today placed darn near the whole fleet out of service.

Transportation has some serious explaining to do now.

I hate to see anyone have buses fail, but this had to happen. Idiots who don't care give the rest of is a bad reputation. thankfully those types are few and far.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 06/16/2009 1:00:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  5:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just had our annual DOT inspection. Zero OOS defects. Five minor defects and one advisory out of 13 buses.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 06/16/2009 5:14:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  7:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you guys only have one(1) inspection a year???

I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  5:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohio has one major inspection during the summer months that is very thorough. This event is scheduled, however in these special cases they like to drop by at random and see how things look.

Each bus also must be spot checked once during the school year. These inspections are unannounced and not as thorough as the annuals, but still catch a lot of defects.

If a bus is involved in an accident that does more than $500 damage, results in any involved vehicle needing to be towed away, or results in any injury, the bus must be inspected before ANY repairs are performed. This may be a minor once-over or a very in depth look. In the case of severe crashes, the bus is ispected right there on the road before it's towed.

Another special inspection may be in order if a bus should be placed out of service to verify it's been repaired properly or after being repaired post-crash.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 06/17/2009 5:29:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  7:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NY has the most advanced state inspections out of any of the 50 states. Every 6 months a bus is inspected by the state, which is an extremely thorough inspection. Basically consists of the following:

- Visual exterior inspection (all lights, panels, etc)
- Undercarriage inspection (buses put up on lift and all undercarriage components inspected)
- Interior inspection (seats, seat belts, dash, switches, etc)
- Brake inspection (wheels removed to measure brakes)

The bus then gets started and all systems are checked. Full exhaust check, under hood check for leaks and other issues.

The bus is then road tested. They put a special meter up on the windshield that measures braking force/distance, and the mechanic needs to apply the service brakes from around 20 MPH and then the emergency brake to make sure that works.

Very thorough inspection policies, but it works. NY has some of the best maintained buses.

Edited by - Rich on 06/17/2009 7:05:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  06:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
up here in canada, we go through 2 inspections, plus any number of on road inspections. they usually go from bumper to bumper. they have keys to our yard and are always welcome. if the driver leaves a pencil out,, the unit is put out of service!!they are very strict up here...

I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  11:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wright11

they have keys to our yard and are always welcome. if the driver leaves a pencil out,, the unit is put out of service!!they are very strict up here...

It's that kind of knee-jerk, heavy-handed douchebagism that I just don't understand. A pencil? Good grief. One pencil on the ledge below the instrument panel is really a safety concern.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  11:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Peter, You might have to come and bale me out on this. I was trying to figure out your word "douchebagism" and it didn't click until the filter on the school's internet blocked it. So when the tech guy sees what words I have been looking up I'll be giving you call.

I know what you are saying though. When is enough, enough?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi peter, have you ever heard of a projectile? but we should all remember, it is for the safety of the kids!!

I.C no future!!

Edited by - wright11 on 06/19/2009 12:18:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  11:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
...because backpacks and band instruments are not projectiles...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000