Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 remove grill on 1988 1853ih
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

john89thomas

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  6:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit john89thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i tried to remove my grill to paint it.i encountered 8 bolts that i could only get 4 out.i seems that these tri shaped nuts are single use,that expand to their present shape when torqued.there is no good way to grip the 4 that i got.then i have 4 more blind ones,that appear to be inside of a cavity,that seem like they will turn into rattling noise makers. my service manuals(factory) just say "remove grill".i guess i'll be going to the dealership on monday,whom i hope will provid me will what i need ,but i would feel better if i could get the other bolts.thank you

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  9:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I encountered this problem when removing my S-series grill. The bolts were so rusted that the tee nuts in the fiberglass hood would strip out and there was no way to get the bolts out. As you mentioned, some are not accessible. What I ended up doing was taking a drill bit and drilling some holes into fiberglass above where the tee nuts were located. The bigger you make the holes, the easier it will be to access the tee nuts. I made big enough ones where I could get a pair of pliers onto the t-nuts, perhaps I used needle nose pliers. Instead of stupid tee nuts, I reinstalled bigger bolts with large washers and nuts to hold the bolts in place. Lock washers would be a good idea because of all the vibration in the hood. I hope this is helpful. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Jonathan
Go to Top of Page

john89thomas

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit john89thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, i think you are right on .i think i"ll up it one better with about a one inch hole,whatever size is commonly used as bilge plugs.thank you,john
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000