drivetrain question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lilryan

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  7:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im lookin at purchasing my first but to convert into a car hauler/place to live. is this a good setup.'

http://ks-bus.com/catalog/default.asp?cid=18

it is the first one on the page. it has a dt360a and spicer 6speed. couldnt find much on the engine/tranny combo doin a search so i thought i would ask. thanks for your help.

ryan

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  03:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't hesitate on that combination at all. We don't have any more DT360's in our fleet, but when we did there were no major problems. As far as the tranny goes, as long as you've got good gear lube in it that's almost bullet proof as well. I will say this though; you're not going to win any races with it, but it'll get you there.

"It's cranking, but it won't turn over..."
Go to Top of Page

lilryan

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  04:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks man. i am goin to drive it this week. ill let you all know what happens
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  1:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. We had 30 DT360's at one time. I think it was one of the best mid size engines IH ever made. We ran ours with Allison AT545.
We did not have any problems with engine or trany. We are in Oklahoma so we are not to hard on engines or Trans. not to many hard pulls here.
Go to Top of Page

contactbluebird

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  1:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit contactbluebird's Homepage  Click to see contactbluebird's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Take it and run! We have a DT360 with 205,000 miles and it starts better than any bus we have...winter or summer!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  6:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a few DT360s and I thought they were a pretty good engine. I did an inframe on one with 160K on it due to oil consumption but they all ran well.

I think IH discontinued them because of emission reasons. Too bad.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  6:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DT360s were great engines, no real problems with them, and we had 50 or so of them for 13 years.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

lilryan

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  7:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all your help guys. im feelin pretty good about it. i go and drive it tomorrow. whats something like that worth.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  05:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll say 12-$1500. May want to jack that front up and check the king pin play, I'll bet their questionable with that 7500lb (7?) front axle.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Edited by - bbird66 on 04/16/2008 05:24:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  12:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
68,000 miles..."THERE'S A FLAG ON THE PLAY!"

1989+ International's were notorious for instrument cluster failures. Often, the whole thing is replaced, including the odometer! Providing that chassis was build before 1992 it was originaly equiped with a flat black cluster with square gauges, the odometer was integrated with the speedometer. As far as I know the flat black cluster was not offered as a replacement--you always had to get the new style.

**If the bus has a clear plastic angled cluster with seperate odometer, IT HAS BEEN CHANGED. Also easy to spot because when you turn the ignition on the speedo and tach do a full sweep self-test...the old black clusters did not.

Careful examination of the service records are strongly recommended. If you see a $600 "Cluster" anywhere...there ya go.
Hope you get this message in time!
Go to Top of Page

lilryan

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  6:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i went and drove it today. it ran really well. clutch seemed fine and it shifted nice. i couldnt get them lower then 3600. and the cluster did do the needle sweep when it was started so i am not sure how many miles were on it. i guess there is no way to tell really. thanks for the advice on the odometer. i did not know that.
Go to Top of Page

lilryan

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  6:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i called the salesman today to inform them that those are not the actual miles. they said, oh yeah. i think the school said it was 168000miles. that frustrates me. they knew the whole time and have it listed at 68000. i will not be goin back there
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000