Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Video Camera
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colemad

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  11:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit colemad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am writing an article on in-vehicle video cameras that are being used for survellience and driver safety monitoring. I am interested in receiving feedback as to the perception of effectiveness for security, and promotion of driver safety - as well as feelings of invasion of privacy. All thoughts are welcome.

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  11:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first year i got video in the buses I did 10 out of a fleet of 60. The drivers didnt take to them to good at first. they felt that the cameras sole purpose was to watch them. After a few weeks they changed their minds. the students became better behaved, and one driver actually had an angry parent chase him down and yell at him. the camera proved the drivers story 100%. In the past it was he said she said. By the end of the first year drivers were asking for them on their buses, and using to their advantage with unruly students and parents. I am now lookin at new systems that can monitor things like stop sign runners, and GPS and speed displays.
Go to Top of Page

NathanW
Advanced Member

United States
313 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  3:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love having camera's in the schoolbus. My only problem is there isn't always a tape in the recorder.

I keep trying to get my (other) boss to install a camera in the commuter bus I drive, but that company is a non-profit and doesn't want to spend the money.

Nathan--Driver Extraordinaire
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  12:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Myself would not knowingly leave the lot with none working camera on board. Were I to know the camera is not working in route would also have no problem personally with the kids recording the environment on their cell phones. The kids can be very quick to catch a stop sign runner. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 03/27/2008 4:09:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

colemad

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  3:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit colemad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you ever looked at www.greenroadtech.com? They have an interesting approach to safety. I would be interested in your thoughts on their approach.
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  3:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice idea. Especially where it talks about monitoring teen driving!

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  9:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a black box in my bus...it doesn't have a camera but don't tell anyone! :-)

It works sometimes to get the kids to listen. Other times they waive at the thing and still act up, go figure.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  5:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L.J.D

The first year i got video in the buses I did 10 out of a fleet of 60. The drivers didnt take to them to good at first. they felt that the cameras sole purpose was to watch them. After a few weeks they changed their minds. the students became better behaved, and one driver actually had an angry parent chase him down and yell at him. the camera proved the drivers story 100%. In the past it was he said she said. By the end of the first year drivers were asking for them on their buses, and using to their advantage with unruly students and parents. I am now lookin at new systems that can monitor things like stop sign runners, and GPS and speed displays.

I agree with you 100%! When I first brought up that as of this year we will have a camera in every regular ed route bus, the drivers were none to pleased. Three weeks into the school year after we had used the cameras to solve four or five incidents, they absolutely love them.

I think once they get over the fear that they are just being used to spy on them, they definitely grow to like them and forget that they are even there.

I honestly think that some of them thought we would be watching every video of every route... Like anybody in this profession has time to watch what we need to watch never the less every minute!

Overall, I wish there could be grants of some type to put a camera on every bus out there because they are well worth it.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried REI's new camera? It is the best thing I have ever seen!

Edited by - Bluebird62 on 03/31/2008 5:46:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000