School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Yet Again......More Regeneraion Questions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus is a 2008 IC FE with a MaxxForce DT

1) There is a warning light called the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). Where would you find this lamp on the dash? Looking at the bus's dash, we cannot seem to locate this light. Is this an optional light that the bus may not have?

2) For a passive regeneration to occur, does the REGEN INHIBT switch need to be in the "ON" or "CANCEL" position?

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  1:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

1) There is a warning light called the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). Where would you find this lamp on the dash? Looking at the bus's dash, we cannot seem to locate this light. Is this an optional light that the bus may not have?

2) For a passive regeneration to occur, does the REGEN INHIBT switch need to be in the "ON" or "CANCEL" position?

Aren't all of the emission controls and lights by the driver's right knee? Photos at:

http://schoolbuscentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=30&listing=352&listingmode=detail

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  4:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, that's true, but the particular light we are looking for (in question 1) is not in that location on the bus in question. The driver looked and looked again and couldn't find this light on the dash or anywhere else. This is why I supposed it was optional light. I did originally think that the MIL light and DPF light were the same thing, but there is actually a significant difference between the two.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fe/re do not have or use one.
you are correct all fe/re lights and switches are in that panel by your right knee.

leave the inhibit switch in the cancel position unless you do NOT want regeneration. it stops all regeneration from occuring in the on position. the light on the switch will illuminate if you are inhibitting regen. these are different switches and location from the conventionals

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.

Edited by - jeepcjron on 01/16/2008 5:38:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  5:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just reread your post. passive regeneration is nothing more then the dpf reaching its temp and doing its job. so the switch doesnt effect that. sorry if i miss lead you by saying all regen.

Turning the switch to ‘ON’ will PREVENT either Active Regeneration or Parked Regeneration from occurring.
Green light will be on when regeneration is inhibited
Switch should be activated when the environment is not suitable for regeneration

Passive Regeneration
The natural process of regeneration where the engine provides sufficient temperature through the exhaust gasses to convert the particulate matter to ash.
Active Regeneration
The process of regeneration where changes to the engine operation are required and handled through the vehicle and engine software to increase the exhaust temperature so that particulate matter can be converted to ash.
Manual Regeneration
The process of regeneration where the operator may request that the vehicle and engine change their state to increase the temperature of the exhaust gasses so that regeneration can occur and convert particulate matter to ash. Often referred to as Parked Regeneration

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  5:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Isn't the MIL light the "WARN ENGINE " light ?

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  03:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what I gather from your posts:

1) The FE model doesn't have an MIL light

2) REGEN INHIBT switch should be in the "CANCEL" position for passive regeneration occur.

Is this correct?
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  04:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, unless you want to prevent the bus from regenerating automatically (active) at high enough driving speed, leave the switch in the "cancel" position. Passive regeneration (mostly occurs at higher speeds or with heavy loads) cannot be avoided, as it is caused by waste exhaust heat from normal engine operation.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  05:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our 2008 IC buses, with the Maxxforce DT, the MIL light is just above the tach (which is to the left of the speedometer). It is shown on a diagram on page 21 of the operators manual if you want a picture. It is in gauge hole #14. It is an exclamation mark with exhaust running through it. I actually have one that is lighting up from time to time and I don't know what is causing it. The code that goes active is a 2335 which says "ICP (FRP) unable to build during engine cranking." But the light doesn't necessarily light during cranking....sometimes it's after an hour or two of running. The other day, while we had the dealers computer on it, we shut the bus off and then upon restart the light flashed but the code had gone to inactive. Then, when restarting a third time, the light went out for the rest of the day. I tried to do a parked regen while the light was on but it wouldn't do anything. The bus does run with a little bit of a "miss" while under power. Lift pump maybe?????
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  07:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

On our 2008 IC buses, with the Maxxforce DT, the MIL light is just above the tach (which is to the left of the speedometer). It is shown on a diagram on page 21 of the operators manual if you want a picture. It is in gauge hole #14.

Is your IC a FE model? From a previous post, I got the impression that the FE does not have that light. I know what the light looks like, but haven't found it. Here's what a previous poster stated:

quote:
Originally posted by jeepcjron

fe/re do not have or use one.
you are correct all fe/re lights and switches are in that panel by your right knee.

Thank you for the responses on Question 2 (about passive regeneration). We've got that one answered now. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  09:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry. Mine is a CE.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  6:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
reread the post again. to answer the first question. i thought your where speaking of the emmissions light with the exclaimation mark. that is the light the fe/re does not use. also on the fe/re it has the the old school warn and stop engine instead of the triangle and stop sign. i hope this helps you out. Ronnie

Edited by - jeepcjron on 01/18/2008 05:56:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  9:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeepcjron

reread the post again. to answer the first question. i thought your where speaking of the emmissions light with the exclaimation mark. that is the light the fe/re does not use. also on the fe/re it has the the old school warn and stop engine instead of the triangle and stop sign.

Thats what I was thinking, the emmissions light that the older Internationals used that said warn engine.
My bad
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  03:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that seems to answer it. Thanks!

3) There are four different levels for the DPF. Can levels be skipped? Could you go directly to Level 2 and skip Level 1? Can Levels 3 and 4 occur without warning?

4) With all the warnings and indicators, how may it be possible to get to Level 4? If you get to Level 4, does the bus need to be towed or can it be driven to the shop? How long might a bus be out of service because of this?

5) When the "High Exaust Temperature Lamp" is on, the driver is instructed to keep the bus away from people, flammable materials, vapors, and structures. If the warning light comes on while pulling into a school to load/unload, should the driver continue into the school or wait until the light goes off?

Edited by - IC RE 1629 on 01/18/2008 05:21:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  06:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no it shouldnt skip a level. if a mechanical failure or incorrect fuel it could go through them quickly though.

how is it possible! drivers not paying attention to the lights or knowing what they are for. at level 4 it will be derated heavily. you wont want to drive it. it can be regened with the laptop at that point. if so bad it wont then it will need to be removed and cleaned. that is rare at this point.

lastly hi temp is warning you to be aware. this will be typically on for only a short time after a passive regen on a highway run. as far as how to act to it that is up to your operation people. i wouldnt want to say.

this is the information i have and from my expierences with these units. please be sure to read the decal on the roof inside and the owners manual and emmissions insert card for exact procedures. there is also a small information disc that your dealer should be able to provide.
Ronnie

Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  1:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure on the skipping levels, but when the high exhaust temp light is on, just try to keep people away from the exhaust pipe discharge, as it will be unusually hot.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  07:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the driver of the bus in question, the DPF lamp flashes meaning level 2. This happens without the lamp being solid (Level 1) prior to it flashing. This is what sparked the question on skipping levels. Why would this be happening?

Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  08:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to the driver of the bus in question, the DPF lamp flashes meaning level 2. This happens without the lamp being solid (Level 1) prior to it flashing. This is what sparked the question on skipping levels. Why would this be happening?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BAfS_Hz-V-M

This is a great video on Regen... that i found on youtube....

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Question about parked regeneration I am driving at the moment a 2008 saf t Liner that this light keeps coming on and when it does Smoke and odor comes from the bus which I heard was normal I was told on another thread that a parked regeneration had to be done how often do you have to do this and why are they on newer busses now.
How long does it take to do one
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  3:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What kind of Saf-T-Liner? EF, HDX, or C2? If it is a C2 with a Mercedes engine and there is smoke coming from under the hood, I believe it is a known problem and there is a fix available, see your dealer. It is NOT normal but it is fixable.

You need to do a parked regen whenever you see a light on your dash that looks like an ice cream cone on its side with a vertical bar through it. There is no fixed time for how often; how frequently you need to regen depends on how you drive. If the light starts flashing you need to do a parked regen within the next hour or two or you will lose engine power. If the "check engine" light comes on while the "ice cream cone" light is flashing you need to do a parked regen IMMEDIATELY or you will be in for some pretty expensive repairs.

Regenerations are necessary now because new diesel engines have filters that collect soot and smoke from the exhaust. Eventually the soot clogs the filter and needs to be cleaned out, the way this is done is through regeneration, which basically dumps fuel into the exhaust, which burns in the filter and burns away the soot.

IC the future, and it is bright.

Edited by - Nick on 10/24/2008 3:18:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  10:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a C2
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  11:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....burn more fuel to clean out what was low cetane dirty fuel to begin with....unreal, It just makes no sense to me at all.

When all those lights start blinking like the space shuttle, Trade it off for a pre 06 and go have a real ice cream cone.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Edited by - bbird66 on 10/27/2008 11:50:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000