Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 The new IC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SubaruBoy85

25 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  5:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone driven this bus? Is it as nice as they make it out to be? How would you rate it?

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  6:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
SubaruBoy85,

I have not driven the IC, but I have learned enough about it to share some information with you about it. The IC has many new advancements on it. I will go over a FEW of the many advancements it has (compared to the regular 3800 series).

First of all, it has an integrated crossing arm in the front of it built right in to the bumper. Also, the hood/cowl has been redesigned so that it allows the driver more visibility in front of the bus and it is more aerodynamic and curvy, unlike the somewhat "boxier" hood/cowl on the 3800 series. The grille has also been redesigned as well, but the same headlight style is used on these as they are on the 3800's.

Inside, the driver's area has been completely redesigned. It has a new "linear" manual entrance door opener which basically reduces driver fatigue and doesn't need much effort to use it. All you basically do with that is pull it straight out and then push it back in.

The switch panel has been redesigned as well. The switches are layed out with most of them being on the left side of the driver and a few to the right of the driver and dashboard. (The warning lamp LED's are located to the right of the driver too.) They are all backlit, feature writing and symbols that represent the particular switch function, and most of the switches feature a little light that turns on when the switch is activated or turned to the "on" position. (These switches are similar to the switches used on the International RE.)

The IC also features white-faced, rounded off gages as well, as opposed to the black-faced, square gages previously seen on other International products. In my opinion, they will take a little time getting used to it, but they are nice to look at. There are also many other features on this bus that I did not mention here. I strongly suggest you visit www.navistar.com to see all of the other features the IC has to offer. Just click on the bus section and it will take you there. They have loads of information you can look at on the IC. I hope that I could help you out with what you were looking for and point you in the right direction. If you have any more questions about the all-new IC, please feel free to ask me and I will try to answer them the best that I can.

In my opinion, International has done an excellent job in designing these new buses. I think they are outstanding inside and out and I think you will agree as well once you get to know them better. They look really nice!!!!

Bob
"B. Busguy33"

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 03/06/2001 6:10:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

mik

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2001 :  6:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My opinion,, they did a decent job on the dash layout and visibility out the front.. the door lever won't last very long before they re design it. Try to get out of the driver's seat with the door open, it jab's you in a dangerous part of the anatomy.. most of our driver's find it harder to open and close the door . The wide door is nice ! Other than that it's just an am tran with thomas heeter switches....
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2001 :  1:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SubaruBoy,
We have a few of these on order, but the only one we have so far is an early "pilot" model. We buy air operated doors so it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the regular device. B.Busguy told you the "real" deal. Its much more than mik suggested. The white face gauges are well positioned and easy to read, and the drivers seem to like the switch layout and super wide entrance door. We're looking forward to the rest of our IC buses!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

SubaruBoy85

25 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2001 :  4:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I've seen the pictures and read the info, seems like a very nice bus. I'm not to sure I'd like the "straight line" door activator. I like the air doors much beter.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000