New Radiator -vs- Repaired/Rebuilt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaymarlow

United States
3 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  9:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a 95 Thomas ER, 3316-215 CAT engine. The radiator needs to be replaced due to rust-through on the bottom of the tanks. The cost of the new radiator from Thomas is about $1900. To purchase the tanks and gaskets is about $1600 total, not including labor. Ouch. I'm too poor for that. Has anyone ever had a similar problem and simply had the tanks repaired or patched by a reputable radiator shop and it turned out ok? If this could be done, it certainly would be a more economical fix. Please let me know. Thanks.

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  12:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 tough options, all expensive. I get the idea you're not in the radiator removal, or, repair business. We have 60 Thomas ER's and it takes the better part of a shift for an experienced mechanic in my well equiped shop to remove and replace one of these. Probably 5-6 hours with no major issues or interuptions. I would add a cooling system flush, t-stats and a test drive. If the water pump was OE, I'd replace that as well. Patching or replacing the tanks still leaves you with a 12 year-old core. Has your water maintenance been good? Are the fins and innards in good shape? Does the radiator have a lower-unit trans cooler? Are these BetaWeld, or bolt-together? The labor to remove the radiator is a given with all your options. Paying more labor to take it apart and put tanks on it does not seem like a good idea. Patching corroded tanks is not something I've seen, but I'm not in the rust-belt. I'm usually replacing or cleaning out cores in 1991-94 ERs with 200K on them. My tanks are in good shape. Even that runs between $500-1,000 at our radiator shop. How long you plan to run the bus is important. A '95 transit in my fleet has to go 18 years, or to 2013, if we stay on schedule. I would probably be swinging a new unit in and salvaging the usable leftovers for the next job.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I certainly wouldn't buy a radiator from a Thomas dealer for top dollar.

Shop around for a Modine dealer...... independent shops, NAPA Heavy Duty etc. for a better deal.

My Navistar parts guy has come up with some pretty good prices on bolted core stuff in the past, though, I think you're looking at $1000 minimum.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 11/28/2007 4:31:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

jaymarlow

United States
3 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  10:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help Mech and IBT. Mech you are right about me not being in the radiator removal business. But, since my last post, the radiator is out. It was tough, but I had a knowlegable friend do the work, and I was his "apprentice." It took us about 7 hours to get the job done. I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I do have some of them. Yes, it does have the trans cooler. We also had to remove the intercooler and a another small cooler in between for the haydraulic fan. We broke several rusty bolts in the process, but I'm just glad the monster has been removed. I haven't called Modine yet, but I think it's a good idea (thanks IBT) over purchasing direct from Thomas. The Thomas dealer was gracious enough tp give me the Modine OE number, which is 1A15983. If anyone out there can direct me to the best places to do an aftermarket search or whatever is the cheapest route, I would greatly appreciate it. So far an internet search of that number has gotten me no results. Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  11:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the part is available aftermarket, your local NAPA store should be able to get it. A truck/industrial radiator shop would also. Wherever local truck shops, farmers, and bus shops send their stuff out to is where you need to look.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000