Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 International 3800 hydraulic brake operation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RDChaplin

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  7:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit RDChaplin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just bought a 95 IH 3800 T444E bus. I would like to know how the brake warning buzzer and light are supposed to operate. When I turn the the key to "on" engine not running the warning light and buzzer sound w/o a foot on the brake; when I step on the brake pedal I hear the boost pump slow down as I increase pedal pressure. Is this the normal mode of operation ? With the engine running the light and buzzer are off and on intermittently. The brakes seem to operate fine and the power steering works properly(as far as effort). I also noted that the Fuse is missing for the turn signals and Brake lights. Will this effect the warning buzzer/light.
Where can I get a International workshop manual for the chassis and electronics? Does this bus have a ODBII diagnostic port (as Ford Light duty F350 trucks do) and where is it located?
Thanks, Doug

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  10:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the booster pump and light will be on when the key is in the "run" position without the engine running. You should also hear the brake booster come to life when you press the pedal with the key "off". Can't remember if the light also comes on with the key off but a bus is out-of-service if the booster pump fails to operate with the key off. I drove a few units with flickering brake warning lights and those operators claimed there wasn't any problem with the buses. Even drove one where the light was always on, according to the regular driver the mechanics told her to only worry if it went out :(

If the fuse is missing I assume you don't have signal or brake lights, replace it.

Not sure about the other stuff you asked about.

JC
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  2:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No MD or HD trucks use "OBD-II" diagnostic ports. As of now, trucks use OE supplied engine/bady/transmission/brake diagnostic software that connects thru the ATA 6 or 9 pin "Deutsch" type diagnostic port via the J1708 or J1939 data links.

All manuals are available from you local International dealer - order thru the parts counterman.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  5:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is your flow swich leaking or defective ,,its on your hydraboost,,or is your master to low,,something to look at
does it only come on turning left??? (low master cylinder ) this is common on fs65's (freightliner)because of sensor location

JC
on some circa 88-90gm chassis thomas body the brake boost will NOT come on with the key off!!!! ONLY KEY ON!!! we have fought nhtsa on this and WON!!!!!

RD
im thinking a bad connection at the flow switch or bad flow switch

Edited by - wright11 on 11/30/2007 5:53:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

ogre

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  11:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the brake pressure light comes on intermittently and there is no trouble found with the brake system. Replace the brake light switch at the brake pedal. there are two wire connectors and one screw to remove. This switch controls not only the brake lights but the booster pump also. when they start to go bad you get the brake pressure light problem. This is a common problem with all our early 3800.

My Two Cents
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000