New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  3:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many districts/contractors are still running gas powered school buses?

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  3:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Boy 39

How many districts/contractors are still running gas powered school buses?

We still do. 24 of our 37 regular route buses are gasoline-powered Blue Bird GMCs (1998-2003s). We made the change over to diesel-powered units in 2004 with the addition of an IC RE-300 along with a handful of IC CE-200s, and we've remained with IC Corp. products since.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  4:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We still have three spare 1995 GMC's.........They run better then the diesels........

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  7:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Besides one of our gmc microbirds none at all. Were all 466 powered for full size besides our tc which has an isb. Then our newest type a's are duramax and powerstroke 6.0.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  7:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The rumor I heard was that Blue Bird was going to start offering a gasoline engine in the Vision.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  9:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, Kelso purchased two new type A Chevy gas-powered buses earlier this year, after buying only Ford diesel type A buses for years.

Also worth noting, Laidlaw still has quite a few GMC Blue Bird conventionals, with what I assume to be the 366 (definitely not diesel) in service for the Portland School District. I saw many of them driving around when in Portland a few days ago.

I have not seen a gas-powered transit in operation since 1990 when Kelso retired the last of the Wayne and Carpenter RE's they had. With the exception of Portland, I think the districts around here that have gas buses remaining in the fleet use them only as spares.

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gas powered school buses will make a comeback whether you like it or not. The teetertotter of costs between gas power and deisel power is going to switch after the 2007( Edit:2010)EPA emission standards kick in. There would be something like a 10-15k initial cost difference on purchase and diesel engine vs. gas engine. Diesel per gallon price is trending towards equal or will be higher than gas soon and it could be a permanent switch. I'm not a huge fan of gas but i dont mind them. I bet if they came up with a fresh engine design it would have about equal or better fuel economy. I would hate to have to say this usualy, but have Japan come up with a bus gas engine. Hell, back in the 70's Ford had a fuel squeezer gas engine for semis that could get 8-9 mpg.

Expect seeing the return of the gas powered type C as early as next NAPT conference and type D gassers possibly by the 2011 model year.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 11/01/2007 11:12:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  06:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Two or three school districts local to me run entirely gas, except for one Vision that they had to get with a diesel. They don't put more than 200,000 miles on their buses, the gasolines are cheaper to maintain (esspecially since some school districts don't have an on-staff mechanic), and gasoline for the past few years has been way cheaper around here. Last Friday, gas was $3.099 and diesel $3.549.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, my Kenworth-Pacific was in service until 2004,and it ran on (er, still runs on) gasoline power.

It'd sure be interesting to see some gas powered type Ds today!

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  07:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many miles on that Kenworth?

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  10:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busgeek++

How many miles on that Kenworth?

It's a 1955, and it served a daily route for 49 years.

The original odometer isn't in it anymore, so I can't really tell. In fact, I just got a call from the district that it came from yesterday (right outta the blue!!) so when I return their call Monday, I'll ask. The current odometer in it was installed in the 80s, and it currently reads about the same as my Taurus, which is now at 270K miles. Judging from that, I suspect maybe around 600,000 miles or so since it was one of only about five buses in a single, full-county district.

-Steve

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 11/03/2007 10:23:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  10:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive for something gas powered

Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  12:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We still have 8-10 left as daily runners, and alot for spares, they range from 1998 thru 2003 Blue Bird Chevys. Its hard to have more in service since route buses can't be more than 12yrs old.

-Dave

Edited by - 03CV200 on 11/04/2007 12:10:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  2:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truck451

Not many.
Gas engines are just as obsolete now as they started to be in the '80's, with diesels lasting longer, being cheaper to maintain, fewer moving parts, and better mileage, in addition to the heavy amounts of wear and tear that school buses face.

Any engine is going to last a long time if properly maintained. Most people that say that a diesel engine last sooo much longer than a gas engine has hardly any experience with a good gasoline burning engine. Maintaining a gasoline engine is way easier, they are way easier to work on. They may not get as good of mileage per gallon, but the amount of maintenance costs are so low, it definitely makes up for the lack of mileage.

I've had gas engine's that go 250,000+ miles plus. All they take is a nice 9 to 10 qt oil change every 3000, new plugs and wires every other year, new belts, fuel filter and that's basically it, with the exception of a major equipment failure. But then again, it's way cheaper to buy a new distributer or IAC than a new pump or spend hours trying to put a new fuel line on a cummins.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  2:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True in that all well-maintained engines last, but how many gas engines in the world are WET SLEEVE?

Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  3:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, but then again, how many diesels are besides a DT466?

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DT360, higher end CATS, DT530/570, Cummins ISC and larger, many others

EDIT: Also forgot DT408

Edited by - busgeek++ on 11/07/2007 12:55:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  3:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The CAT3208 is, in my knowledge, the only diesel engine that was NOT a wet-sleeve design. Every other diesel engine I've ever heard of in an industrial application has been wet-sleeve.

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  3:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The only ones I've heard of in today's school bus applications that ARE wet-sleeve design are the DT466 and the ISC.

=
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven A.Rosenow

The CAT3208 is, in my knowledge, the only diesel engine that was NOT a wet-sleeve design. Every other diesel engine I've ever heard of in an industrial application has been wet-sleeve.

In school buses (non Crown and Gillig applications), the only wet sleeve diesels ever available were the DT360, DT466, and Cummins ISC.

On large trucks, I believe almost all of the current offerings are wet sleeve.

Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  3:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, the DT408 was offered in the mid-nineties, and the DT570 was available in the IC-RE

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000