Day time drive lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  04:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the big deal? This county is going to install DDL in all our buses. A lot of $$. So what does it mean when everyone has DDL?
Jimbo FL.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  06:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi jimbo,
What it means is that under certain circumstances your bus is in shadows, under shaded areas from trees, buildings, etc. and now buses so equipped (with DRL)will be more visible to the motoring public. DRL's use less voltage than regular lights and won't be as big a drain on the charging systems. Hope this helps.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  07:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi JR
I understand what you are saying is true the only problem is drivers leaving the yard in am with DDL on and no tail or markers because they think the lights are on. The Navistars ars run off oil pressure, Thomas is run off park brake which will avoid the above situation. Thanks for your input. Helps

JIM B

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  08:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimbo,
Some conversation about what you mentioned has already taken place and the consensus was that if the bus was running the DRL's should be on. Could be parked beside the road or elsewhere that the DRL's could be of assistance in a low or poor visability area. Early a.m., nor any other hours shouldn't be an issue with drivers that perform the required pre-trip inspection.....They have to turn on the lights to check them! If the head lights and marker lights not on leaving in the morning, its a good bet that driver also didn't perform the pre-trip!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2001 :  6:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to the above comment made by Joe, if a driver is leaving a school after the bus has been turned off for awhile with the lights off, the DRL's will be on for safety. Even in broad daylight, this helps with visibility and safety. That is basically why DRL's are used in my opinion.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

boomur

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2001 :  12:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In an effort to alleviate problems with not having tail lights, most companies mandate that their drivers run with headlights and marker lights 24/7. Also, certain Thomas buses do infact have all lights come on when the ignition switch is turned on. I drive a 99 safe t liner fe and when I turn the key to on, all lights including tail and clearance come on that way there is no chance of leaving your lights on when leaving it parked, when the park brake is applied only the headlights go out and when you turn on the main headlamp switch you then get your interior marker and dash lights.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2001 :  5:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boomur,
The whole concept behind day time running lights, as I understand it, is to provide added visibility without the extra expenses and maintenance associated with running all the marker lights, head and tailights. The DRLs are low voltage lamps designed to operate without taxing the charging system, i.e.: alternator, battery and voltage regulator. The instrument lights do not work with DRLs. I repeat my previous statement, if drivers are leaving in the morning without all their lights on, they probably are not performing their mandated pre-trip inspection!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

boomur

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2001 :  12:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the manufactures would design their systems to activate tail lights and markers, then we would not have to use all our lights. When you work in an area where your daylight is limited you have no choice but to turn on all your light.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2001 :  07:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boomur,
That would defeat the purpose of the DRL. If you want them all on, just turn on the switch!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

boomur

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2001 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you have provincial regulations requiring tail lights, and federal regs for daytime running lights you are in a lose lose situation. The point I was trying to make in the first place was that the system does notincorporate tail lights and that you are stuck using your head lights if you live in a country where one regulatory body doesnt have a clue as to what the other is doing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000