2007 Emissions Cummins ISB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  2:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any feedback? Any experience. Running smooth here in MI.

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  2:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minor issues on a few. Mainly explaing those regen lights to the drivers.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  4:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How are the new MBE's doing? The next bus purchase is still up in the air at this point.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  8:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new ISBs are the best running engines in this area it seems. CATs have had some fuel pump issues, MBEs have apparently had electronic issues, haven't heard too much about the Internationals. Having personally driven the ISBs, they are much smoother than the 2007 MBEs and 2007 Cats.

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  8:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last I heard from the local distributor the MBEs were being removed from the offering for now - until they meet emissions. There were allegedly some issues with the CAT engines as well. All the 2007/2008 products with the MB or CAT engines I have seen have been PRE-'07 emissions certified engines in later model chassis. Meaning the engines were built before Jan. 01, 2007.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  12:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModMech

The last I heard from the local distributor the MBEs were being removed from the offering for now - until they meet emissions. There were allegedly some issues with the CAT engines as well. All the 2007/2008 products with the MB or CAT engines I have seen have been PRE-'07 emissions certified engines in later model chassis. Meaning the engines were built before Jan. 01, 2007.

Well I have seen C2s and Visions with MBEs and C7s respectively that both had DPFs and the fuel doors marked "Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Only", which means they have the US '07 engines, I don't know how they have been holding up though.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  2:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I tried to smack that bug of my screen! LOL I guess I shouldn't have whiskey for breakfast.
quote:
Originally posted by ModMech

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops sorry Mod that was Rich's bug in the banner. It was crawling down to your post.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  3:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was told that the MBE engines (some 1,000+ units) were being pulled and Cummins power installed because the engines do not meet emissions. They did NOT indicate what engine models were involved, but that it was "2007 emissions" models.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  11:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, according to some trusty 'ol Adobe documents, the torque/HP rating haven't changed at all with the 07 emissions ISB engines. Or has anyone noticed any difference in them from personal experience? Also, it says that the ISB peak-torque is 660 lb. and the C7's is 860 lb. Does this make any sort of difference while in operation? Or at least school bus operation?

What is this "Hydraulic Brakes" nonsense you speak of?
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  7:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I received four All-Americans with the Cat 300/860. In delivery to our dealer in Utah the delivery driver pumped regular #2 diesel fuel into two of them. One was broken down in Tennessee for three weeks the other made it here but had to go to Cat for a week to repair the damaged EGR system.
Since then two of the four had Check Engine lights come on for no reason. Cat came up and reflashed the ECM's which appears to have corrected the problem. Power seems slightly lower than our O6 Cats even though they are rated and speced the same. They accelerate very well and run smooth but top end is slightly lower on a hill.
I created a power point presentation to explain the regeneration system to my drivers. No other problems to date, knock on wood. I am pleased with the Cat system since it regenerates at 20 mph rather than the 40 mph spec for Cummins. Our average speed is 25 mph so I know they are regenerating. I have heard from districts around me that have purchased Cummins engines are having regeneration troubles since most of their buses rarely reach 40 mph for extended periods of time. They just start to regenerate when the bus is turned off. I believe manual regeneration is having to take place frequently on these units.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  06:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Barker,

I sent an email to your MSN account.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  08:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I drove a 2008 Vision over the weekend that was equipped with the new Cummins and it drove very well. The engine was responsive and smooth. I was especially impressed with how quiet it ran!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  2:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a animated version Bluebird sent me of the regen process. E-mail me if ya want it. wolf0r@yahoo.com

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000