School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 What is it REALLY like to be a SUB Bus Driver?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiveforks

United States
29 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  6:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit fiveforks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is it really like? What if none of the kids no the bus route and it is dark? ALSO, if you are a bus driver, what was the process like becoming a driver? (Interview, etc) COuld you have one demand that they would meet, such as only driving transit styled buses? Thanks for every response! Have a great day!

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  7:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiveforks

What is it really like? What if none of the kids no the bus route and it is dark? ALSO, if you are a bus driver, what was the process like becoming a driver? (Interview, etc) COuld you have one demand that they would meet, such as only driving transit styled buses? Thanks for every response! Have a great day!

Around here, they do everything they can to get you route sheets...they fax them to the nearest school...or a supervisor meets you somewhere and gives them to you...or at the very least they'll read the stops to you over the 2-way radio. In my experience though, it's pretty rare that nobody on the bus knows the route.

I didn't have an interview, per se, I just took my driving record to the recruiting center and filled out an application. That started the process...a few days later, they called and told me to go take the physical and drug test...and to go to DMV and get a CDL Learners permit. Then they called to tell me to report to the Training Center for 4 weeks of training. Then I drove a veteran driver's bus on his routes for a week (OJT)...and then I was officially hired. From start to finish, it took about two months to get in a bus by myself and hit the road.

I didn't make any "demands"...but my County really bends over backwards to accomodate drivers' needs and schedules. Buses are assigned by seniority...so there isn't much negotiation possible there. All our buses are transits, so that wasn't an issue.
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  8:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fiveforks

What is it really like being a Substitute School Bus Driver? It's probably one of the hardest tasks I've taken on in the past seven years. The uncertainty of not knowing where you're going coupled with your obvious responsibilities as a School Bus Driver make for a stressful time ... Although it can be rewarding when the day is over and you know you completed the task at hand. It's still probably one of the hardest jobs you'll ever do as a driver.

When I know that I'm going to be covering a route, I try to ride that route sometime in advance. I'll take a notebook with me and make my own route list with directions. Each of our buses have an information packet with student lists, route sheets, and maps in them, but honestly, it's hard to read three different pieces of paper, drive, look out for bus stops, and keep an eye on the students all at once. That's why I prefer to make my own route list. Plus, I can make notes, like, "Stop before XYZ Street at the blue house." I go more by house colors and landmarks than I do addresses.

Most of the mailboxes in our area are clearly marked with the addresses, which makes it a little easier in the mornings. You just have to take your time and try not to rush. In the mornings, the students are usually out, so, even if you're unsure of the address, you'll usually see the students standing out. (Most of the regular route drivers are good about telling their students to be sure to be outside waiting for the bus a little early when they know there will be a substitute on their route.) Also, in the mornings, if I'm covering a route, I'll clip my route sheet somewhere where I can refer to it easily and see it if I turn the driver's dome light on. It's not too distracting to drive with that light on until the sun comes up.

The hiring process at our school district is simple and straight forward. You fill out an application to be hired by the school district. Once you turn that in and have the appropriate permits, you begin your required behind-the-wheel training and observation time. During this time, you might also be sent to the required classroom training by the State. You're also required to submit to a drug test and a background check. Once you feel confident enough, your drive test is scheduled. When you pass the drive test, obtain your license, and have all of your paperwork cleared, you're hired by the school district and sent to fill out your tax paperwork. Then, you can drive!

Requests wouldn't go over too well here. We run a mix of conventionals and transit-style buses. A lot of our drivers don't have air brake endorsements as the majority of the fleet was (and still is) composed of buses with hydraulic brakes. That gives those of us with our air brake endorsements more of a chance to drive the newer buses, but when you get down to it, if you want to work, you take what you're offered. If I requested to drive our newest IC RE only, I'd probably work two days out of the school year.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  3:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another tip for sub drivers:

If a student asks permission to do this or that......always say NO!

Guaranteed....whatever they're asking to do is forbidden by the regular driver!
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  4:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I didn't think there were this many sub drivers on these forums. We are a special breed, I'll agree tot hat, but I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. Our driver training takes about 6 weeks now, and it's all paid. Once you pass the training and get your CDL, you drive with a senior driver for a few days, then a Driver Trainer releases you to the wolves. Some noobs are lucky and are able to bid opn routes, but others are stuck as subs. Most of them end up quitting :( Some of them are used as long-term subs, for drivers who are out on workers comp or medical leave.

Our sub drivers receive an incentive of $.85 an hour extra, and we are guaranteed a minimum of 40 hours a week. My scheduled hours are 4:30-8:30am and 1-5 pm. Anything outside of that is OT. As a sub driver we cannot turn down any run or any bus for any reason other than faulty equipment. (That kinda ***** sometimes with the bad kids, but those are few and far between.) Most drivers have very detailed directions for their route, but it always seems easier if someone is directing me. I just moved to a different city in the same county, so I'm a bit outside my comfort zone right now. It's all well and good to have excellent directions, but if I don't know the orders of the streets, or where the landmarks are, the first time I drive a route I will always be about 15 minutes late.

I find a lot of students are willing to help out if they are asked nicely. At the very least, they can tell you if you are going the right way or not. Sadly, many students ask if I am going to be their permanent driver. I asked today why they were asking me that, and the reply was, "Our driver doesn't talk to us. I don't think she likes kids." How awful was that???

The hardest part of the job (besides not knowing your way around), is discipling the children. Every person has their own system, and I don't like to undermine other's authority. Some high school students were calling me *w*itch today for not allowing food and drink on the bus. Ah well, I still had to clean up spilled soda from contraband. And a bunch of elementary school kiddos ran across the street behind the bus <cringe> even after I told them to cross in front. I don't know their names or grades, so what can I do? There were so many middle schoolers on the bus (55+) I think some may have been sitting on the floor, but there's not enough room for me to get back there to check. And even if I could check, I'm pretty sure this group would just move around as soon as I sat down anyway.

Some days I crave my own route, and I could bid on one if I wanted. But then I think to myslef, "I'm gonna have bad kids and problems no matter what I do. Why deal with the same ones every day?" LOL

I love my job, and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it. But being a sub driver is definately NOT for everyone. You have to have a lot of patience and understanding, the ability to make decisions, and be able to put safety as a priority over being on time.....AND HAVE A DAMN GOOD MAP!!!
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  4:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have mixed feelings about subbing, mostly based on what town the route is in. I currently have an assigned AM/PM run, but I had to start as a spare between two towns served by the yard I drive for. The town I ended up in is where I grew up, I know the streets very well from riding the buses when I was in school. I've always been much less familiar with the other town, which made it more difficult to sub there.

The town I'm in now also has made a lot of improvements the past few years in terms of street signs and encouraging residents to display house numbers, making it much easier to sub. I often cover mid-day K runs here, although I know most of them from riding along frequently (many times I'll ride off the clock just to stay up to date on the run and chat with the driver).

My biggest concern with subbing was on morning high school runs when it's still dark out. This area is very rural, mostly driving on narrow back roads through the woods, with street lights being nonexistant in most places. I have over 4 years experience driving various types of buses, but still worry about making "blind" turns on an unfamiliar route. (When the only light is from your headlights, you have to guess where the rear wheels are going around a turn).

I occasionally need my run covered by a spare if I'm doing an all-day field trip, and I always try to help them as much as possible. I make sure my run sheet is updated, print a fresh copy and make lots of notes, and ask my boss to let the sub ride with me the day before.

As for bus choice, you can make any request or demand, but will probably miss out on hours. Besides, the only fun I ever had subbing was getting to drive different types of buses. If you would prefer a certain make/model, try to work for a district that only runs that type of bus. Otherwise, I'd say make your preference known but be flexible..."I'll drive whatever you need me to, but I love the transits"

Good luck with your new job, and welcome to the industry! To sum all this up, the best advice I can give is to ride the run beforehand if you can. At the very least, ask the regular driver to make notes on the route sheet.
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  6:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i did some subbing when idrove. if i didn't know the area where iwas going to drive, i would look it up on the map. then i would keep the map open to that page while driving. after dropping a kid off, i would have a quick look on the map for the next stop. if the next street was far away, i would look for the street before hand, or shopping center, just something to let me know that the street i wanted was coming up. while i enjoyed having a regular run, getting to know the kids, i also enjoyed going somewhere different sometimes.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  7:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been a sub driver for the majority of my eight years in the bus. These days, I'm a casual employee and just come in when I have a free morning or afternoon. I really enjoy subbing because I get to see lots of different areas, drive all the different buses and never have to deal with the same punks two days in a row.

We have computer generated route copies that all drivers are encouraged to update regularly. We also have a system for dealing with people that don't. When I drive a route where there are problems like sweetheart stops, missing portions of the route copy, bus cleanliness or chronic behavior issues, I fill out the "Standby Route Observations" sheet detailing the problems. I then hand this over to dispatch or a supervisor who has a little chat with the driver.

The kids are usually pretty good for me. Like IC said, if they ask permission, say "No" because whatever they want is always forbidden by the regular driver. The novelty of having someone new is usually enough to keep the younger kids interested in being good, especially if you talk to them. Sometimes someone will decide to take advantage of the fact that you don't know him but then you put the smack down hard and let him know that you will not tolerate his antics.

Driving a bus is fun (most of the time) and certain people will enjoy a regular route while others will enjoy subbing. Stay out of any break room politics and smile at everyone. It also helps to study maps and learn your way around.

Spicer is nicer.

Edited by - Peter on 10/04/2007 7:34:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  3:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter

Stay out of any break room politics and smile at everyone.

LOL Ain't that the truth!
Go to Top of Page

NathanW
Advanced Member

United States
313 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  05:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a sub driver, but I only drive in the afternoon (this Monday is an exception). Since I drive a commuter bus during the day I generally don't have to do any morning runs. I like doing sub work (except for one route which has the kids from hell). It's a lot more fun than doing my cummuter run. I think the hardest part for me is not knowing where to go (for those routes I haven't done before, or done a ride-along on). Mainly because I haven't lived in the area very long and I don't know the area.

Currently I can be asked to drive in the following states/towns:

Vermont-Luneneburg & Gilman, I haven't driven the following yet: Concord & some other towns I don't know the names to.

New Hampshire-Lancaster, Jefferson, Dalton, Whitefield, Bethlehem, Sugar Hill, Franconia, I haven't driven the following yet: Groveton, Northumberland, and some other towns.

Nathan--Driver Extraordinaire
Go to Top of Page

maddoxdy

United States
35 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit maddoxdy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess there are subs and then there are SUBS. In our shop there is a group a experienced drivers who have an intimate knowledge of the district. These are Jumpers, we are expected to fill in on any run at any time. A drivers gets held up in traffic and is WAY late. The Jumper gets a spare bus and picks up the next leg of the run. Sometimes get get to ride along before we have to drive a route, sometimes we have to do it cold. After five years of driving, I don't think there is one stretch of road that I haven't been on in the school district.

New drivers start out as subs. The TD, tries to get the new subs on long term substitute duty (reg driver having a knee replaced, whatever). If the regular driver is not available to teach the route, a Jumper is assigned to teach them.

I drove a regular route for a couple of years, but I got bored. Now as a Jumper, I never know what I will be doing until I walk in and see the assignment board. I love it.

As for handling the actual runs, mornings are easy, see students, pick them up.

Afternoons are little trickier. I like to get complete cooperation from the kids, so as we are pulling out from the school I get on the PA and give the following spiel, "My name is Mr. Doug. I can get you home quickly with your help. Without your help, it'll take longer. But don't worry, I get paid by the hour. my wife works nights, so I got nothing to rush home to. In short I have no life and I am willing to take all evening to get you home. Now, when I call your name or stop, raise you hand high." This gets even middle school students laughing. I've got enough jokes to keep the kids off balance and they don't have a chance to mis-behave. But, that's me, it fits my personality.

IC was very right. If someone asks to do something, particularly if it makes you uncomfortable, say no. When a kid asks to sit in a different seat, I tell them to sit where they are suppose to sit.

Never, ever make a threat that you cannot or will not make good on. "Sit down or I'll beat you senseless." Won't work. They know you can't touch them. "Sit down or I'll write up a mis-conduct slip." More effective, you gotta follow through. BTW, mis-conduct slips are taken seriously around here.

It take a certain kind of person to be a school bus driver.

Doug

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  1:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Doug....we call our jumpers "floaters" and they really do most of the "subbing". They are seasoned veterans that really know their way around. Regular drivers "cover" lots of runs also...usually with just minutes of notice. Managers know who has a gap in their schedule, and when...so if a driver doesn't show up or a bus breaks down, they call you on the radio and ask you to "Signal 25" (cover) a particular run.

Once upon a time here, they would have brand new drivers sub on routes...they would have them call in very early to find out where to go that morning. Lots can go wrong, and many new drivers were overwhelmed and quit. Now, while they still call new drivers "subs"...they put them on a drivers' bus and runs that is off long term....that way they do the same runs every day. It's much less stressful on the rookie drivers than the old way...

Floaters do most of the real "subbing" around here.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  5:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Sub Drivers receive an incentive, our pay is $.85/hour more than regular drivers in our paygrade. Does anyone else pay their subs extra?
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  6:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Does anyone else pay their subs extra?

Our spare drivers receive the same rate of pay as the regular route driver would.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  7:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pay the subs extra? I've never heard that one before.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  7:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last I heard, our "floaters" earn an extra dollar an hour....along with a guaranteed 40 hours a week (regular drivers are only guaranteed 35 hours a week).

I thought about applying....but it's a lot of hassle for an extra 40 bucks (BEFORE taxes) a week...

But, I might still do it if I get ever get bored with the same old, same old every day...that's why most of them do it.
Go to Top of Page

NathanW
Advanced Member

United States
313 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  07:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My spiel for the kids starts before I ever pull away from the school and goes something like this...

"This is bus 11, if you aren't supposed to be on bus 11 get off the bus and find the correct one. If you want to go home you'll tell me where you live, before I get there. If you don't want to go home you might as well get off the bus now, since this is where I'm going to take you when you fail to get off the bus at your stop. Who's off first?"

If nobody raises their hand I repeat the question. If nobody still raises their hand I tell them they all should get off the bus since nobody is supposed to be on the bus if no one is off first. At that time they start looking around to find out who is on the bus and who isn't.

Once someone says they are the first off I have them come up to the seat diagonally behind me and tell me where to go. I generally have several little kids up front that want to help too. Only twice did I miss a turn, and once was my own fault and the second time was due to construction on the road and we couldn't really get to our turn.

Whenever I get to a stop I won't move the bus or turn off the reds until the next child off comes forward. If nobody comes forward I tell them that we are holding up traffic and if I have to I'll go right back to the school.

After I've subbed a bus a few times the kids are very helpful and we have fun. I also use the PA (turns out that most of our drivers just yell). I can't stand to yell. Generally hearing the PA freaks out the kids. *grin*

As for knowing the routes...I generally never know what route I'll be driving until I show up. Friday is a good example...

I arrived at the yard stuffing myself with McDonald's. I was expecting to leave immediately and drive L-3. However, I was told to sit and chill since I was going to be driving 22L and then Bus 9 (which don't leave for almost another hour). After a couple of phone calls they changed it to just Bus 9. Then a couple more phone calls they changed my route to Bus 2. Another couple of phone calls and I'm back to driving L-3. However, at this point I don't have time to get from the yard to the school on time (about 30-35 minutes depending on traffic and which bus they give me , lots of hills to the school).

They had to have L-2 transport all the Jr/Sr High School kids to the Elementary school, where I'd grab my kids. There's plenty of room for all the Jr/Sr High kids on one bus, so that wasn't a problem.

It's just sooooo much fun never knowing what it is you're going to be doing on a daily/hourly/minute basis. *grin*

Nathan--Driver Extraordinaire
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I work for the same district IC does and am a Floater II. I do most of the subbing but we get our own buses. They usually put us on different runs each day throughout the county doing about 200 miles a day! The subs go from bus to bus and are the new drivers and usually have problems. The attendant won't show, no route sheets or "Left/Rights" and usually cant do the run because the driver didn't put a spare key on the bus or is in a spare and didn't tell the office.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  5:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE to have my own bus! I guess it isn't enough of a challenge to drive for different schools on different streets in different towns, but to have to tote all my stuff from one bus to another on a daily basis is a PITA! I have 2 different maps, my "personal care" kit (mouthwash, moist towelettes, nail clippers, etc), a calendar to keep track of my extra time, a clipboard, notebook, scrap paper with a large permanent marker for when I do a different route with 2 seconds notice, water bottle, coffee cup..... well you get the idea.

The only problem with a Sub having their own bus here is that we do not have a separate division for Special Needs students. And not all the buses are equipped the same. Some have seat belts, some don't. Many have cam-wraps (for harnesses), some don't, there's also wheel chairs and car seats.... it would be a nightmare trying to coordinate all that. There are very few runs that require no special equipment.

Oh, and the AIR CONDITIONING! Some runs have it for medical conditions, some runs have it because of driver seniority. Maybe someday when all the buses are seat belted and have AC the subs will get their own bus, but probably not.

I <3 my job!
Go to Top of Page

Driving101

United States
6 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  10:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Driving101's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the Distrct where I work we have 728 assigned routes.
We have 10 superviors (seperated by areas of the city) who are incharge of a certian number of drivers.

Each supervisor has 5 "Trail Drivers". Trail Drivers have call in from their radio at 5:30 AM. They are either given an assignemnt for a driver who is out, or they are told to wait until needed. A trail may sit where his/her bus is parked (generally at their home) all morning until all AM routes have been cleared, but they still get paid. Trail drivers are expected to know the area in which they are assinged very well. If a trail is needed to drive for another supervior on the other side of the city, they need to know how to get there...haha...

Each Trail Driver has a 3 inch binder that contains printed routes of every route in the district, that's where they get the info from. This is updated monthly. It contains the usual...stops, times and directions....It also contains the noram bus number, driver name, and cell phone of the driver if the trail driver would need to call him/her.

Bids are placed every year for trail routes. If you have been a trail driver before, you most likely will be one the next year....Unless someone with more senoirity comes along and wants to be a trail....the person with the less experience will be moved back to a regular run or transfer run (transfer is another story....)

Trail Drivers cover routes for sick drivers...but they also go and get students from broken down buses and things of that nature.

Trail drivers always have the newest buses in the district due to the fact that they are traveling all over the city.

Almost all of our drvers park out their buses

We also have long term subs who will pick up the driver's bus and do their route if they are going to be out for a period of time.(generall 3+ days).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000