New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  1:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - Janesville Gazette, WI - MILWAUKEE - A school bus slammed into a fire truck Wednesday, causing minor injuries to 18 people, including 16 students on their way to school, the bus driver and a firefighter, fire officials said.

Police cited the 39-year-old bus driver for driving without a valid license and said other charges may be filed pending an investigation.

full story

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  3:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bus driver without a license. Very interesting. Does Wisconsin require any periodic verification of license??? (Ohio requires it annually)
Go to Top of Page

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  8:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bus driver had no license

Nov. 29, 2006 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, WI - The 39-year-old man who was driving a school bus that struck a fire engine Wednesday, has never had a valid driver's license in Wisconsin, nor a required commercial license and a certification that school bus drivers are supposed to have, state officials said.
Advertisement

The school bus driver, Carlos Mayes, 39, of Milwaukee, also paid a $109 fine in August 2001 after being ticketed for driving without a license, according to Milwaukee Police Lt. Alan Johnson.

Johnson said officers were attempting to determine if Mayes had a license in another state and if school officials were aware that Mayes was not licensed.

Joseph Maassen, a lawyer with the state Department of Transportation, said there is no system in place to make sure that school bus drivers have the required licenses or that bus owners have insurance, Maassen said.

full story

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad, I live in this state..8 years its good for, and medical checkup every two years. Once you turn 70 then the medical is every year and driving exam is every two years.

Milwaukee county is a joke, has been for years, Its a known fact (and look! proven!) that MANY so called bus drivers in that county have no license's. At one time there were 469 documented "Crashes" in one year in that county, all the way from mostly fender benders to buses hitting one another with MAJOR damage. I rememeber not long ago that two mini buses hit one another at an intersection they were both flipped over! Its unreal...I dont know who's in charge of the show over there but they need to get out of the brew house and fix it. Its a shame...

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

bus917

United States
77 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone I'am new to the board.I've been reading some of the posts they've been very interesting. I just read on the todays tmj4 site out of milwaukee that this driver is a teacher at this school and was hired by the private chruch school to drive and teach and this is not the first time this school has had problems with the buses that they own. he was also cited for bad brakes on the bus.I have to agree with you bbird66 I don't know where they find these drivers for milwaukee.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  3:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the thing that irritates me the most is that we have no training requirements. Most states require a certain number of classroom and behind the wheel instruction prior to licensure and then follow-up/refresher training every so often. Since there are no requirements, I get no extra $$$ in my budget to allot for it.

I do urge the drivers to take my refresher class before they renew every eight years, but since they are not paid it's not required.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  1:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...I've said this before, Here in Wisconsin all we need is a "Pulse" behind the wheel. Hopefully with proper endorsements at least...Sad.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  9:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School loses state funding over bus crash

Dec. 8, 2006 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, WI - A small school in its first year in Milwaukee's private school voucher program was ordered out of the program Friday by state officials as a result of an accident in which a school bus hit a firetruck on Nov. 29, sending 18 children to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

The driver of the bus was not licensed and the school has not provided evidence that it had insurance in force, the order from the Department of Public Instruction said.

"Clearly, it's not a safe place for kids," said Tony Evers, deputy state superintendent of public instruction. "They demonstrated it on Nov. 29 and we have no reason to believe it is any safer now."

full story

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000