Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Bodies: are they Steel or Aluminum?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dozer

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  02:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit dozer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Are most 'typical' schoolbus bodies made of steel or aluminum?

This probably sounds like a dumb-question to bus-people; but I've only worked on IHC trucks so far....haven't touched a bus yet.

In thinking about it, I realized I've never seen rust-streaks running down the side of an old bus. But every old medium-duty truck I've ever seen sitting, has rust streaks wherever the paint is chipped/cracked.

So I wondered if bus bodies are aluminum. ??

The reason I'm asking is because my Loadstar 1700 truck needs an engine; and I've got a line on a Loadstar 1700 diesel bus with a bad fan and radiator. So it needs to be towed or hauled here (5 hrs, not a cheap move).

I'm trying to estimate the salvage/scrap value; because that will pay for the haul, and the engine/tranny too I hope.

Still waiting for final confirmation of details; so I don't know the body-mfg yet. It's a very 'normal' looking yellow bus; 35' overall, and I think it's an '82. Allegedly a DT466. Not sure which year ranges IH used DT360's and 6.9/7.3's...or even if they ever put those in the 1700 chassis.

Appreciate any info!

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  03:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus bodies are steel, and that very well could be the DT466 in there!
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  09:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You've never seen a rusted out school bus body? lol

Tradtitionally, school buses were made entirely of steel dating back as far as the 20s with some manufacturers. The exception of course is Crown Coach (the CA company, NOT Crown by Carpenter), who made their Supercoaches using primarily aluminum skin.

However, any school bus body built on a Loadstar will be steel.
Go to Top of Page

dozer

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit dozer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks much for the answers guys.

No, I've never seen a bus with rust stains running down the side; as I do all the time with old trucks.

Guess I've just not come across one.

Of course, we don't don't put corrosives on the roads on purpose here in Oregon. We expect ya to stop and put yer chains on.... :D

So there are a lot of real cherry older vehicles still driving around without a spot of rust on them...original paint after 50 years...that kind of thing.

Those Crown Coaches were aluminum skin only, eh? They didn't use aluminum extrusions for the framing, or floor ?

Alum. skin on steel stringers seems like just asking for intermetallic corrosion problems. bleahh...

Yes, it might be a 466; and I love that motor; but it's not what I'd prefer for this particular truck. I don't want a huge doghouse jammed into the cab.

Actually, if I find a Detroit 8.2L turbo for a few hundred bucks; that'll be my first choice. Lots of folks don't like the 8.2, but I've had a couple before and it'd do fine for this application.

In that case, I'd sell the 466. Otherwise, if I don't come across a good 8.2T deal, I'll probably end up using the 466.

thanks again for the alum/steel body education. :)
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  5:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would take a DT466 over an 8.2 any day of the week.

A properly maintained DT466 will outlast the 8.2 many times over.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

bobsbud22

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  09:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit bobsbud22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1995 dt466's were not built near as well as the other years. if it were 1995 model i would take the 8.2, but any year before and after 1995 i would no doubt about it take the dt466.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2315049370099094322FQAWUC][/URL][URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2187906880099094322rtYumU][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  03:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobsbud22

1995 dt466's were not built near as well as the other years. if it were 1995 model i would take the 8.2, but any year before and after 1995 i would no doubt about it take the dt466.

Are we talking DT466E or the the mechanical DT in 1995. I drove a 1995 (Thomas Bus #24) with a mechanical 466 and it was a dandy as was our neighbor districts' 95's.

The injector pump was turned down on mine from the factory. The mechanics had to tinker with the timing when it was new because it would die under some conditions, after that it was fine. Even with the pump turned down, I had plenty of power, it just took some time getting up to speed.

The driver after me complained A LOT so we backed in the adjustment screw to give more throttle...BIG MISTAKE. Doing so (according to the place that rebuilt the injector pump) ultimately damaged something inside of the pump. It made a knocking sound and you could get up to speed, take your foot off the pedal and it's keep on cruising at 55 for miles before it would idle again!

Sorry to ramble...I'm curious why you dislike the '95 DT's.
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV
Advanced Member

Canada
231 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought the 1995 Internationals were DT408s for the most part. Which had an issue with pumps and timing. Might be what you are thinking of when you mentioned a bad year for the DT.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000