oil/water warning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

veeracer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  06:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearing the end of a 500 mile roadtrip in my 1990 international DT466 I heard a warning buzzer and looked down to see a oil/water warning light on. I pulled over and checked the eng. and tranny oil. Both looked uncontaminated.I continued the drive and the warning came on again but then stopped after a few minutes.Does anyone know what this warning means and what I should do? Thanks.

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  06:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1999 Freightliner Blue Bird would do that when the hot weather arived. Especially when taking hills, at the very top of the hill that light and buzzer would come on and it wouldn't go off for a good three to five minutes. This was an everyday occurance. I checked my water and oil and both were at the levels they needed to be. I let the mechanics know and they said that the bus was fine.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  1:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that just a shared light to warn of low oil pressure or low coolant levels? Low coolant level warnings can happen driving on a grade where the sensor gets uncovered by coolant and doesn't oil thin out as it gets hotter which could register as low pressure when driving at lower RPMs. I'm sure one of the more mechanically incline people on here will have more advice.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  2:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Internationals it's low oil pressure and high coolant temperature. I'm not sure the alarm level for oil pressure, but the coolant should be above 225 before that alarm goes off.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  4:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The light should never come on unless there is a problem. You might have a faulty sensor for the light or you are most likely overheating. If you have the correct viscosity in, you should never have low oil pressure unless there is a problem with the oil system. Overheating may be occuring due to a low coolant level, faulty fan clutch, or a variety of other things. I would check the actual pressure and temp when this occurs to see whether the indicating sensors are inaccurate. That happened on my friends dodge. The oil pressure light was coming on at idle on hot days. She changed the switch and that was the only problem.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  5:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When those warning lights and alarms come on you should immediately chack your oil pressure and engine temperature gauges.

If they are in the normal operating ranges...... under 225F and at least 15 psi oil pressure..... you have a defective sensor...... not uncommon.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

veeracer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  08:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the help.I don't have a manual for the bus or engine (not sure where to get one) My oil pressure is good (around 40 psi at 2000 rpm when warm) however the water temp may have been creeping up around 220-225.My fan clutch may be a little slow to engage.When it does there is an obvious roar of the fan and temp drops fairly quickly. My bus also has some solenoid activated louver system in front of the radiator and intercooler. Even when the engine is hot when I get out and look the louvers are closed. I am not sure what triggers them to open, but I would think they should be open when the temp gets up there?

Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  09:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I experienced the same issues on a 1997. In order to fix it, I worked through my service manager and identified a fan clutch that engaged ten degrees cooler and it fixed the problem right away and ever since.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  10:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The oil pressure and coolant tmperature GAUGES are your best source of information when the "Oil/Water" light comes on.

The oil pressure GAUGE on your bus is mechanical, while the warning is an electric switch. If the gauge reads OK, then it is.

The coolant temperature gauge is electric, but the warning is done by a seperate switch. If the temp is OK, then it is.

The most common cause of this while driving down the road is the coolant temp warning SWITCH, and while at idle, the oil pressure warning SWITCH.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

bobsbud22

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  09:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bobsbud22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have had some experience with this light on older and newer busses with the dt 466e engine, but it never seemed to pose any sort of a serious problem, i think the only problem is the celinoid that controls the dash board warning lights.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2315049370099094322FQAWUC][/URL][URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2187906880099094322rtYumU][/URL]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000