70's model Thomas/Ford
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  06:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever drive the old 70's model fords with the white grilles? Did yours also use a ruxle for the manual trans?

Why would they bother with a ruxle on a school bus? (If anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about, the ruxles where indicated by big red push-pull button on the stick)

The first bus i rode on was (Maybe) a 1973 model Thomas. It was a nice old bus (even though i'm not a ford fan!)I only rode on it for one year then it had a major breakdown and was junked. that was in 88'

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  06:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My parents used to own a 70's Chevy dump truck which had this weird green button mounted on the side of the shifter.Is that a ruxle or whatever its called?It had something
to do with the transmission.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
Posts dedicated to 87-24
Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  07:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My parents used to own a 70's Chevy dump truck which had this weird green button mounted on the side of the shifter.Is that a ruxle or whatever its called?It had something
to do with the transmission.
Silas J.

Posts dedicated to 87-24

yep, that would be the ruxle!

Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  10:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
2 things:

1. I rode a GM/Thomas in the 70's as a kid. I enjoyed it.

2. What you are calling a ruxle is the switch used to change the 2-speed axle.

Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  2:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

2 things:

1. I rode a GM/Thomas in the 70's as a kid. I enjoyed it.

2. What you are calling a ruxle is the switch used to change the 2-speed axle.

oh, I understood that was a ruxle switch. Thanks for the input!

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  6:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those 70's GM trucks were enjoyable to ride in (Except for the one I rode in when you hit a bump because it had the tires used before radials).I nearly hit my head on the cab roof when we hit a bump one time.What exatcly is the switch thing for?
Silas J.

Posts dedicated to 87-24
Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  6:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Never mind about the last sentence in my last post.
Silas J.

Posts dedicated to 87-24
Go to Top of Page

VanHool21

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  6:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Fords our district had did not have 2 speed axles.Usually you could start off in 2nd gear,but if you were loaded and on a hill,1st gear was necessary.1972 was the last year our district bought manual transmissions.These buses were pretty reliable,but were retired in 1980,so its been over 20 years since I have been on a bus with a manual transmission...how time flies!!!

Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  6:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Fords our district had did not have 2 speed axles.Usually you could start off in 2nd gear,but if you were loaded and on a hill,1st gear was necessary.1972 was the last year our district bought manual transmissions.These buses were pretty reliable,but were retired in 1980,so its been over 20 years since I have been on a bus with a manual transmission...how time flies!!!

manuals are all we use up here and we have a fleet of over 100! we only have a handfull of automatics! Although we have a lot of rural roads in our district this may be why.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  7:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wish we still had manuals. The last one we had was my old 86, and that is now gone.

Thomas Built Buses- The best buses on the road.
Posts dedicated to 86-A. The best will never be forgoten.
Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  7:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wish we still had manuals. The last one we had was my old 86, and that is now gone.

Thomas Built Buses- The best buses on the road.
Posts dedicated to 86-A. The best will never be forgoten.

Was 86 an International? I put a bid on an 85' International/Thomas but didn't win the tender. I am fairly upset! Internationals are pretty good buses.

"Wayne Buses ~ Rest In Peace."
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2001 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have two real 10-speeds at work & still a dozen or so 5-speeds, but none of the 5-speed w/ 2-speed rear end buses. Although I've seen quite a few older Blue Birds for sale around here with the 5-spd./2-spd. rear end combo., I've never ridden or driven one before.

I've seen some other vehicles (my friend's 1970 fire engine for example) with a similar red switch on the shifter, except it was a control for the Jacob's Brake, not the transmission. I thought that was pretty interesting.

The Buskid - CrownBus32@aol.com - http://www.crownbus.com
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  6:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone ever drive the old 70's model fords with the white grilles? Did yours also use a ruxle for the manual trans?

Why would they bother with a ruxle on a school bus? (If anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about, the ruxles where indicated by big red push-pull button on the stick)

The first bus i rode on was (Maybe) a 1973 model Thomas. It was a nice old bus (even though i'm not a ford fan!)I only rode on it for one year then it had a major breakdown and was junked. that was in 88'

Theres some pictures of a 70's Ford/Bird on my website. Go to www.schoolbusstop.cjb.net then click on Pictures, then Blue Bird, then Ford.

"Blue Bird... Gotta Love Those Birdies!!!"

http://www.schoolbusstop.cjb.net

http://www.geocities.com/jasonsbuspage

http://www.busexplorer.com/schoolbus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000