Stafford County wants to start charging Students to ride the Bus
TheLink
http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/052006/05042006/188630

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's the new way now. Free transportation seems to be heading out the door. Several school districts that I drive for, already do that. They say it's supposed to save teaching jobs, but they are laying off jobs anyways.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  12:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a student standpoint, I say no way!
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  1:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't anything new for some of us. When I was a student, it cost $182.50 per semester, or $365.00 per school year, for a bus pass. Each student was guaranteed a ride to school, but if you wanted to ride the bus home from school, you were required to purchase a bus pass.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  2:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it is a good idea, it would be a way to generate a little extra revenue for the county, possibly to purchase new better buses, or even send the money to the classrooms, I say it is a clever idea.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The only district I've ever attended that did that was Tacoma, and it wasn't very expensive.

I'm against it, though.. Not only should the funding exist already by either taxes or grants, but not every family could afford to pay that much.

I find it ridiculous when a school district charges the general student population to ride the bus. It's not public transit, for pete's sake!

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  3:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear its the thing in MA, but in CT, thats a different story. If that ever came to Torrington, you won't even find a school bus (maybe for specail ed) becuase everyone would be taking a ride to school. More money out of the parents to pay for transportation which is already included in taxes whcih is going to the Contractor, I would say there would be a big uproar in my town! If that where to happen, I wouldn't ride the bus, course I am of that driving age, so Dave beware!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  4:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here, if a student is on financial aid, they get everything at a reduced price... field trips, lunch, art supplies, school merchandise, and so on, so it would be the same for the bus, around here, almost all areas are pretty affluent, so there should be no question, of course there would be, so... I don't know, I am rambling on, but you get my drift.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  05:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to have an in town transportation. All of the students were transported even though we only get reimbursed by the state for the students over 2 !/2 miles. When funding got tight the school looked into charging for the in town bus but when I checked into it I found that if a student was on reduced or free lunches they could not be charged for transportation. So what it amounted to was: like lunches about 1/2 of the students would have to pay and the other half wouldn't. It didn't seem fair so we just don't have an in town bus anymore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000