Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Skipping School
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rloving

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  8:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit rloving's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a lot of problems with children skipping school at the 2 High Schools in our area. They are on school property or right across the street from the school. They smoke ciggarrettes, marijuana and drink. I have refused to transport some of these children because of the hazards involved. They are often times aggressive when they are high. It seems like our district would do more to combat these problems. Their safety is in jeopardy while skipping and on the bus high. These kids could be raped, killed or beaten while skipping in the adjoining woods. The drivers have notified parents and administrators at both schools.These schools also have hired police and security. Any suggestions or comments?

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  9:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A relationship between the school administrators and bus drivers that is based upon mutual respect is essential. If one of our drivers suspects a student is high or in possession of a substance, the admin will investigate and call the city police. More than once we have had a student removed from the school in cuffs. If you don't think that sends a message. Also, parental support is necessary. Parents may take their child to the local clinic for a drug screen.
Seems like the district has a 'cop in the school' program.
We received a grant that pays for an officer through the school year. If a student is caught with tobacco on the school grounds = expulsion. On the public street = a citation. Minor in possession of tobacco.
I suggest you garner public support through a letter to the editor, a letter to the school board, and all powers that be. I have had remarkable success by writing one letter and cc'ing it to all. Not as easy to ignore or end up in a file somewhere.
I wish you well in your pursuit of an answer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000