Out of round brake drums
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2022 :  9:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I recently replaced the front shoes and drums on Bluebird All American . Took bus for test drive . Steering wheel just shook . The faster the more it shook . I figured the drums are warped . Could this happen with new drums ? I had Thomas brand new do the something when it was delivered . The dealer replaced the drums problem gone . So has anyone run across this before ?

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2022 :  03:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, but I've had front spring bushings blow out and cause a shake. This has happened on almost all of our 2015 Thomas FE buses. Replaced the bushings and no shake. Never had any issues with Bluebird or IC.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  3:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the steering wheel shake before you changed the brakes, or did you just change them because they were worn out. If it did not shake before the brake job, but does now, it was something that changed during the brake job.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  11:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I changed because the brakes were worn out . I need I guess go thru and recheck what I did .Driver never mentioned shaking I removed the drum and I can move the lower shoe almost 1/4 inch from side to side . The stationary pin looks loose in the spider . Would that cause my shudder I am thinking

Edited by - valleybusman on 08/15/2022 2:40:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2022 :  08:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the solid non-movable pin is loose in the spider, that is no good. If it has replaceable bushings maybe that is all it needs.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2022 :  10:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's kind of what I figured . I don't know that I can rebush it . I am checking . Never had a spider do that . The rust build up on these spiders are horrible . I am wondering if I shouldn't pop those pins ? I have to heat them to remove the pin and bushing .
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
650 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2022 :  05:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we use alignment nuts (which are removed after installation, and regular nuts go on) to center drum and rim together reduces shake alot, drum is probably sitting in a different spot then before making it off center

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000