My email went unanswered
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2021 :  09:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am writing because I was taken back by my email unanswered . I just started a new job back in June with another district I came on here and asked the question about software to diagnose . We did 't have any . So last Sunday I wrote to some of my local districts asking those mechanics what they use ? I sent 6 emails . I got one response and he emailed me and offered his cell phone and told me to come to his district to show me ! I just feel we are all in the same business and try to help each other out . I realize there is a wealth of knowledge out there and we should help when ever we can ! I have a blue bird dealer and they have a guy who helps when ever I cal !!! Now I will get off my soap box

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  02:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed! My opinion on our dire technology situation is because we have a "changing of the guard" in the works. Meaning this: I'm in my mid thirties and I find it horrendous how behind these OEM manufacturers are when it comes to computer based diagnostics, service literature, and wiring diagrams. Those that are still in management positions don't completely understand technology are are just trying to bide their time to get to retirement. We have those old school mechanics at the garages who don't reach out, maybe because they don't understand it. So there's people my age just chomping at the bit to make these changes, but we can't until those others retire. That's just my opinion. There's one guy that does computer based training and puts on training classes for one of our dealers around us. We got to talking about the new electric buses coming out and I said I want in depth training on how these operate, diagnostics, repair, etc. He said he has nothing coming down the pipeline for these and even the mechanics at his dealership don't have the proper training. I guess it's up to the OEM to come out with a training program for them.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
650 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  05:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any info I have I'll share with anybody just ask

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  10:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Software? what is this software you speak of? We are hobbled with a Pocketmaxx for IH and A very old Nemisys that we use for Allison. Even our OBD2 is topped out at 2006 model year vehicles. Most used software around here is the organic Mk1 meatbag.
Go to Top of Page

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  6:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For g0ttadrift, Way to many don't know what is available from their own OEM's. I have a long background in Navistar and try to help when I can. I see you are in Ohio. I joined this group about two years ago. http://www.osbma.org/ Went to the Oct meeting in Worthington OH. 2 hour or so sessions put on by Cummins, Allison, a brake company, Silveback. Rush had a Nav field rep there. I have some evcellent Cummins info from this group. 6.7 ISB.
There is some customer web based training thru NAV. The electrics are a little bit away. If the cars are any indication there is not going to ba a lot. Two online groups atr Diagnostic Network (DN) and IATN. DN is free. IATN is free, or higher level about $20.00/month. Both verify you are a working tech and you post under your own name so they are very civil sites. 98% of the time anyway. Both are mainly automotive but have good HD groups. Some pretty smart people on both. Anyway just some random thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  02:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks TRex....I wasn't talking bad about this group, if that's how you took my post. This is why I'm on this group; because everyone on here has been very knowledgeable and helpful. I've been to the OSBMA in Columbus a couple of times. I tried going again this year, but once again, got turned down by my supervisor. I've worked for two school districts in my 11 years in this field and both seem to care less about training for their mechanics. All I'm saying is this industry needs to be more proactive than reactive.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  10:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.tpxpowersource.com/school-bus-diagnostic-tools-c-128/

Been using it almost 2 years now.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
650 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2021 :  08:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just got a copy of the latest E-technician , not a bad program , cheaper then J-PRO and pretty much the same , has a bit more vehicles that it can hook to , covers the PSI gas engine also , big bonus and more pick ups or light duty , no idea on price ebay has it for 80$ no expiry lol

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

evansjoem

8 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2022 :  10:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit evansjoem's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I came into my district and they had no diagnostic equipment at all. We have blue birds with cummins and IC with cummins, detroit and maxxforce, as well as a white fleet of ford dodge and chevy. I purchased cummins insite, navistar diagnostics, body builder pro, bendix, allison doc, and a snap on triton D8. They about **** their pants when I told them how much it all was lmao.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2022 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my district purchased the jpro . It was on sale and we saved a thousand bucks . Got the laptop and all the software and I just love it so far . I have all engines and Allison and bendix software . My boss asked me what my issue was and I said price . Then it came down and we bought it .every year is 1200 dollars to renew it .You got have a great diagnostics and so far this does
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000