New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  08:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hate to be Debbie Downer here but how much trouble are we going to have with this system? And, if it isn't working, will it be an "out of service" event? Also, how effective is it in the real world?

https://www.today.com/news/rossen-reports-new-school-bus-technology-will-help-prevent-crashes-t142216

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  08:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've wondered the same thing. With all the dirt roads and mud that we run, I wonder how those sensors will work when they have an inch or two of mud and dirt caked on them. I have a hard enough time keeping wheels washed out to keep the ABS working!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  09:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is true, the system will throw a fault and disarm if the radar module just behind the bumper, or the camera on the windshield (Fusion system only) become obscured.

Routine maintenance will mean cleaning and sealing the plug to the radar as needed. It's a sealed plug...Metripack? Packard? Is that the sealed one? Y'all know what I mean. The radar may need reaiming if something happens. I don't know yet what that involves.

I'm not sure which model designations sense steering input, I know the top tier (Fusion) system does. On those, when performing alignment work you must recalibrate it so it knows when the steering is straight-ahead. I don't yet know what that involves.

I was on a demo recently, you can see video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgFs8t3pAo (no I didn't opt to get on camera lol), it is a really awesome system, but I too am wondering what the "Grief Vs. Gain" test will reveal.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  11:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is it's on an IC. ugh

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  11:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not bad now that MaxxForce is dead :)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  11:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

It's not bad now that MaxxForce is dead :)

Guess I'll take your word for it. I hope I won't have to find out anytime soon.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  12:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The powers that be have decided that we are going to go for the top tier Bendix Fusion package. I'm cautiously optimistic.

This area is a huge testing ground for new vehicle tech...There is a semi that drives itself up and down the interstate here every day for example. This is the stuff that is starting to bleed into the schools. Local employers and TRC (featured in the video linked above) are in here campaigning for "jobs of the future" in the field and a lot of kids are interested.

I like the enthusiasm, I don't like all the change, but change is coming.

Next August when these buses (2 or 4) hit the road, I'll keep everyone informed.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I don't mind the change. However, I don't like change if it's just for change sake or if it makes things more complicated. I remember when my dad loved to mess around with computers and he was trying to teach me. This was 1983 or so. Anyway, he really tried teaching me the programing and such but I didn't have the patience for it. My statement to him at the time was "I'll like computers when they can do more for me than I have to do for them. That has arrived quite a few years ago. My only regret is that my dad didn't get to see all of this. But I digress. I think this is a good idea but I think one of the biggest factors here, for IC, is they are scared to death that the engine ordeal and the success of Bird and the Roush engine are going to cost them market share. I just hope their reaction to trouble with this system is better than it was to the massive EGR engine trouble. In other words, if there needs to be a course change..... for heaven's sake make the change! I guess to put it another way, I'm afraid the same people that told us "this will work don't worry" will be the same people telling us "this will work don't worry" when we are having issue with this. Only now instead of a blown engine we have a bus wreck with injuries or worse.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  6:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Works well on my Outback:

Radar in the back has:
Blind spot detection.
Rear vehicle detection.
Lane change assist.
Rear cross traffic alert.

Eyesight in front:
Active cruise.
Keep lane assist.
Pre-collision braking.
Pre-collision throttle management.
Lane departure.
Lane sway.

Probably does some other things that I can't remember...Had it just about a year. A little strange at first going from a '93 Ranger. Yep, change is here.

For a bus I'd like to see some kind of tailswing detection.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  03:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

. I just hope their reaction to trouble with this system is better than it was to the massive EGR engine trouble. In other words, if there needs to be a course change..... for heaven's sake make the change! I guess to put it another way, I'm afraid the same people that told us "this will work don't worry" will be the same people telling us "this will work don't worry" when we are having issue with this. Only now instead of a blown engine we have a bus wreck with injuries or worse.

IC is taking the credit, but this is really something that is designed, manufactured and sold by Bendix. Yes, IC is the OEM installer and has the parts, warranty and service to deal with, but ultimately it'll come back on Bendix if there are any problems (expect for installation, of course).

This system has been on trucks for several years now, so they have worked through most of the bugs. School bus is a different animal, so time will tell.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  03:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

For a bus I'd like to see some kind of tailswing detection.

I have a customer advisory board meeting in January, and I'm not sure what the topics are going to be...but if you don't mind, I'll bring this up if appropriate for the agenda. It's a heck of an idea!
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  05:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we can put technology like this on a bus to help handling, can we put sensors or something in front of the wheels to stop a bus from running over a child? This would save more lives than seatbelts.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  06:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point here!
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  09:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat, Please do.
Thanks, Tom.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  1:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Serviced a lot of theses systems at my last job with a very large trucking company. We had a Eaton's Vorad and Meritor's OnGuard systems and they were both pretty similar. They were relatively simple systems but required constant adjustment and mount replacement at the time, thought it was not difficult to replace the mounts or adjust them. I am not sure if they improved the mounting system by now or not, I have been away from them for 4 years now. The systems would work with adaptive cruise control to help adjust vehicle speed and apply brakes if needed. Most drivers hated it at first but then grew to like the system once they were use to the operation of it. The company saw a pretty substantial reduction in accidents due to driver inattention.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000