Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Feeling lost
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  11:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on a 2008 BB AA with an ISC. I have two separate concerns, first being the DPF outlet temp reaching 1600+ degrees and shutting the bus off while out on a route. I restarted the bus and it ran fine. Once in the shop I hook up the comp to check codes, installed a new calibration update (AU90078.49) and performed a regen. The bus had no issues after that. Driver took it out the next day and within 15 min the engine warn light came on. I checked it out and it had a Veh Speed Error code 241, speedo and odometer are inop. I replaced both speed sensors on the trans and the code is still present. Any ideas or suggestions?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  06:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have experience with what you're talking about. However, I'm going to try to help you by locking your topic at the top. Let's see if we get any attention from those who know.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  08:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, i'm trying not to have to send it out but i'm just lost. I inspected the tone ring and it is good, and checked the harnesses for both sensors to the TCU for short and open circuits-they were good. I had replaced the alternator and both batteries at the same time as the calibration update. I went back and checked all of the connections and they were good as well. I just dont know where to go from here.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  08:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This may be totally off the mark but I would check communication with the ecm and all the other modules don't know but a guess mabey some type of can communication issue causing this and this is after a reprogram makes me think that's possible ? Because I believe on our amtrans with dts they communicate from the tcm ,ecm to another module that then goes to the gauges to operate them , could be wrong but mabey worth a check
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  10:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engine light or transmission light?

You said you changed "both" speed sensors on the transmission, but there should be three. Input-turbine-output.

Do you have Allison DOC? It SHOULD tell you which one it's not seeing (if it's an allison-side fault), but you know how SHOULD goes sometimes.

I do believe the vehicle speed is taken from the engine ECM, so i doubt the transmission would be the culprit, but I've been wrong before.

Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  11:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is an Engine light. The literature I have only listed 2 sensors for the trans. Makes sense that it would be an ECM side issue, I wasnt sure on the path of communication so I took a stab at it with the sensors. I do not have Allison DOC. I am starting to wonder if something screwed up while updating the calibration? When it was finishing, Insite lost communication with the ECM. I went back in and reinstalled the update but still the same issue. Not sure how or what to test at this point.
Go to Top of Page

cmiyc

2 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmiyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we had the same issue once ...end up recalibrating the ECM , seem like it lost its template....
quote:
Originally posted by scot1337

It is an Engine light. The literature I have only listed 2 sensors for the trans. Makes sense that it would be an ECM side issue, I wasnt sure on the path of communication so I took a stab at it with the sensors. I do not have Allison DOC. I am starting to wonder if something screwed up while updating the calibration? When it was finishing, Insite lost communication with the ECM. I went back in and reinstalled the update but still the same issue. Not sure how or what to test at this point.

Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  1:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after checking out the parameters after the calibration update, I noticed a few things that seemed wrong. First-it had the trans set up as a manual, it's an auto. Second-it had the speed sensor as magnetic, it's a data link on the tailshaft. I called Insite and after chatting with them, reinstalled the prior calibration-bingo....everything works now. I am going to try and do the calibration update again, it supposedly fixes the original issue that iv'e had with the bus, and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  10:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Driver took it out today and the bus seemed to run great. Thank you for all of the help guys! Now hopefully the exhaust system doesn't have any more issues. The calibration update is supposed to remedy that issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000