VT 365
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  2:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried any type of oil additives in these VT365 engines? We are seeing valve bridge wear and lost one cam and lifter recently.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  2:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use 5W-40 synthetic in all our diesels, one of our VT365s went 190,000 miles before we traded, all original parts save for one turbo and EGR valve. Our other 365 is at 70,000 miles, so far so good.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  5:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What kind of oil change intervals are you using, Fastback?

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  04:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I seriously doubt using additives or synthetic oils will help any. The VT365 and Maxxforce 7 engines were junk from the word go. I've lost one of each engine for the exact same problem, the rollers on the lifters coming apart and chewing up the cam. Both engines are exact same only difference is one uses HPOP the other HPFP.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  04:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BJ Henderson

What kind of oil change intervals are you using, Fastback?

We use this; http://syngardoil.com/allproducts/syngard-fleet-engine-oil/
And stay within Internationals recommended intervals. You never want to extend oil change intervals on a VT 365 as roughly 20% of the oil in the engine never drains during an oil change.

Edited by - Fastback on 10/02/2015 04:54:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  06:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have been using Delo 400 and have only had one out of six go down on the cam. Yes, Fastback I know about the oil staying in the engine. I do not advocate extended drain intervals no matter the oil. The oil has been changed in this fleet religiously.

I don't like v-8 diesels, the only ones I ever saw that would give decent service were the 6.9 and 7.3 Liters. T444E was pretty good. Fuel pinchers were not bad either, for their time.

Thanks for the input folks, always appreciated.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  07:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only V8 diesel that ever let us down was a 6.9, roller lifter failure then the reman replacement engine dropped a valve.

Now I am sure I have jinxed myself and am destined for a T444E/VT365/MaxxForce 7 failure in the coming weeks.

Edited by - Fastback on 10/02/2015 07:19:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  5:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The lifter needle bearings fail from fatigue from being overloaded by the 4 valve head design. No oil addative will save them as thats for wear. The vt365/maxxforce 7 has failure designed into it. Ive seen the rocker ball end joints wear horribly on one engine and like new the next . They all get exactly the same services. I think its all the luck of the draw on heat treatment and quality control. One thing I do on all engine is install a couple of super magnets on oil pick ups. One tiny little piece of a rocker ball retainer is all it takes to wipe out a front over and oil pump causing a service call. Of course when a lifter goes its game over .
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  05:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea on the magnets, mastertech. Where can you get the magnets?

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I buy them in bulk from ebay. Ring magnets about 5/8" in diameter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000