Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 CAT C7 No communication
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a CAT C7 that died on the road yesterday. CAT ET will not hook up to it. It will however, hook up to other C7s, so I know it's not the program or the laptop. I checked my powers and grounds at the ECM and have them all where they should be I'm leaning towards it being the ECM, has anyone else had this issue?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  08:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last C7 ECM I lost still communicated just fine (bus died, it showed all six injectors having faults).

I'd hate to see you buy a $1700 box if that's not it! Swap one first!
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  08:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in the process of borrowing from another bus to see if thats the deal or not. If it's not, i'll be scratching my head even more than I am.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  12:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swapped ECMs and it started right up. New ECM is on the way.
Go to Top of Page

OxDiesel-Doc

25 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit OxDiesel-Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice, congrats on your repair.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  12:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got a new ECM and it runs great. Still had no communication though. Found the fuse from the "diagnostic" spot in the fuse panel was missing. Put in a fuse, and now have communication. This makes me a bit leary as now I'm wondering if it truly was an ECM that was the cause. I am waiting to hear back from CAT to see if they were able to retrieve any info from the old ECM.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2015 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
missing fuse, huh?

I had that on an old 1600 Series International. The driver (and passenger,) called me on a Saturday and said the bus just died. I arrive on site, check all the fuses- they checked good, and was stumped. I swapped out trucks, and sent them on their way. I spent about half an hour on the side of the road chasing no power to the ign switch- even though the fuses checked good. I was all set to hot wire the inj pump, and got a thought:

I double checked fuse placement- and the ign fuse was in the wrong slot... The passenger had been playing in the fusebox, pulled a fuse, and when the truck died, he panicked and quickly reinstalled it: putting it in the wrong spot. It was back in a spot that had ign power on the one side of the fuse, but no connector on the other side- so the fuse checked good. I put it back where it belonged, and the truck started right up.

I was livid.

I can laugh about it now, but mostly because that passenger doesn't work here anymore, lol ;)
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  05:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a mystery as to where the fuse may have gone. The spot for the fuse was tight when I installed a new fuse. This particular driver likes to "fix" things on his own, so it's possible that maybe a fan stopped working or something, so he pulled a fuse to swap in an effort to repair himself. I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing. It'll pass in time, but it's bugging me right now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000