Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Freightliner FS65 Frame Rail Cracks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oldiron

23 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  08:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oldiron's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 4 2002 FS65s that have cracks in the frame rail webs at the rear axle. Several other counties in my state have had the same issue and replaced the entire rail assembly. While this is what we feel is appropriate, I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this and has a different soloution?

[URL=http://s268.photobucket.com/user/oldironcollector/media/frame_zps609e4ece.jpg.html][/URL]

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  08:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! If this were a grain truck I wouldn't be opposed to trying to drill a hole at the end of the crack and getting the welder out and putting down some 7018 rod & see what happens. But.......... this is not a grain truck! I would park it and either purchase a new one or a good used one to replace it. The unit is worth about 10% over junk price so it is not worth the effort in my opinion. Good luck

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  11:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I always do, I recommend everybody with this problem visit www.nhtsa.gov and file a complaint for ever bus this happens to.

Perhaps then engineering will come up with an approved fix and it won't be your responsibility.

Sure does seem like the Freightliners so this more than other brands ever did. Wonder if the C2 will start do to the same?
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  1:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen this on a couple of 2000 vintage MVP's a few years back. Thomas stood the behind it.

Now I'm off to go check the ones here. Thanks....
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  5:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most chassis builders provide an upfitters guide for frame modifications and repair. Would following that guide not be acceptable? You could add fish plates for increased security. In transit buses, frames are routinely stretched (cut in two and a splice added in between) and those pass rigorous life cycle testing without failure. If replacing the entire rail is too big a job, I would really think that a bit of research into Freightliner's chassis modification procedures could go a long way.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  11:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chassis service books for those FS 65's was pretty explicit that no modifications were to be made to the frame rails. Not sure if the official chassis mod book from engineering would overrule that info or not.

I'd feel safe saying that the attorneys would say you were wrong if you modified the rails and something happened.

If this were my bus and I had no choice but to fix it, it would go the the dealer...let them assume the liability.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  06:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

The chassis service books for those FS 65's was pretty explicit that no modifications were to be made to the frame rails. Not sure if the official chassis mod book from engineering would overrule that info or not.

I'd feel safe saying that the attorneys would say you were wrong if you modified the rails and something happened.

If this were my bus and I had no choice but to fix it, it would go the the dealer...let them assume the liability.

I agree! But here again, why would you fool with this when you can replace it with another bus of the same vintage for less than what that repair is going to cost? I'm assuming this repair is going to be north of 2K figuring the hours involved and that most shops charge 100 bucks an hour.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  06:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I can't find a good 2002 bus anywhere near here.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  08:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I can't speak for other parts of the country, but I can't find a good 2002 bus anywhere near here.

What's wrong with time, rust?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  08:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, usually rotting apart and over 250,000 miles on em. The good ones get gobbled up fast!
Go to Top of Page

Oldiron

23 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  06:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oldiron's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay heres the scoop to replace the rail at the dealership the total cost is right at $7500 the rail itself is $2900 and 48 hours labor to change it @ $100 an hour, and other small parts as well as shop supplies. I talked to another district who had the same issue and they wound up doing a replacement rather that attempt a repair.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000