Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 window breakage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

anderklan

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  4:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit anderklan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My son was sitting on the bus last week for an evacuation drill and the school says he was repeatedly hitting his head on the window and broke it. He says he only hit it once. Either way, no one saw anything and the driver was in disbelief that it happened. There is a small hole in the window and a star burst pattern around it. Has anyone ever had a window crack just from a kid hitting it with his head? I mean the bus wasn't even moving and it just seems so hard to believe.

DigitalGimpling
Advanced Member

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  5:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit DigitalGimpling's Homepage  Send DigitalGimpling an AOL message  Send DigitalGimpling an ICQ Message  Click to see DigitalGimpling's MSN Messenger address  Send DigitalGimpling a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Erm... no, I don't think so. Window-grade glass is a lot harder to break than you'd think. I broke a car window with my fist once, one hit. I was so angry at the moment that I didn't notice until later that I had given myself severe bruising, lacerations, and two hairline fractures doing it.

Either the window was already compromised... perhaps chipped previously by road debris... or your kid has a lump on his head and one hell of a migraine. The pattern you describe is typical of a projectile... a beebee gun, perhaps. Something larger and blunter would have left a bigger, spider-web pattern.

They see me rollin' - They hatin'
Patrollin' and try'n to catch me ridin dirty
tryna catch me ridin dirty
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  7:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happens all the time with heads, backpacks, shoulders, ect...I'm not even remotely shocked. Usually kids are horsing around and don't mean to do it, but....
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  09:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly Mechan1c!!! I have gone through more windows this year alone than my last five years in student transportation! Kids messing around, backpacks, band instruments, trees, you name it, it has probably happened to one of my buses this year.
Go to Top of Page

anderklan

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  11:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit anderklan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand backpacks and stuff flinging around and hitting it but a kid just sitting in the seat knocking it? Maybe it was a freak accident. I don't know but no one saw anything or told him to stop and then they didn't send him to the school nurse or call me for two hours. He's only 10... it's not like he's that big. I thought this type of glass was used specifically to withstand said impacts.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  11:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my girlfriends once told me that she was once on one of our buses and she was harmlessly banging her head on the window. Why she was doing that, I had yet to understand, but she ended up breaking the window. Her parents ended up paying for the window.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  6:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 10 year old's head can break a flat side bus window. The glass did what it was supposed to do. I would not expect that your son was hurt by this. Only your son knows what caused his head to hit the window. I see this in our 145-bus fleet probablly 12-15 times a year. Most of the cases involve students doing things they should not be doing. But not always, sometimes it's a explainable accident. Often times the students have to pay for the damage if the case calls for such action. But I know that's not exactally what you want to hear...I've changed a lot of glass in 20 years, and I know how easy they break, I've done it myself. Hope that helps. Tom.
Go to Top of Page

route 40

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  1:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Send route 40 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderklan

My son was sitting on the bus last week for an evacuation drill and the school says he was repeatedly hitting his head on the window and broke it. He says he only hit it once. Either way, no one saw anything and the driver was in disbelief that it happened. There is a small hole in the window and a star burst pattern around it. Has anyone ever had a window crack just from a kid hitting it with his head? I mean the bus wasn't even moving and it just seems so hard to believe.

We drive cautiously because others can't, or won't.
Go to Top of Page

route 40

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  1:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Send route 40 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderklan

I have seen a windshield shatter (which is not supposed to happen) when a kid punched it. Freakish things can happen. I hope your child is fine and unhurt.

We drive cautiously because others can't, or won't.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2023 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering buying or selling a used school bus? It’s important to thoroughly inspect the condition of the windows and ensure they meet the necessary safety standards. https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/10011948/tips-on-buying-and-selling-used-school-buses
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000