New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  11:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IDGETON, NJ-August 3, 2004 — A child is dead after mistakenly running after the wrong school bus on her way to summer classes and falling beneath the wheels.

It happened on South Avenue and Eagle Street in Bridgeton in Cumberland County, New Jersey. The 9-year-old slipped under the bus and was crushed.

It happened just after 8am. According to witnesses, the 9-year-old child was chasing after a school bus that she believed was the one she was supposed to ride this morning.

She somehow slipped and fell and landed under the rear wheel.

It turns out, according to police, that this was not the bus she was supposed to be catching to summer school this morning. Her bus actually came later.

Police are still investigating, but they do not expect to file any charges against the driver of the school bus.

The child's name has not been released yet.

story @ http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/08032004_nw_schoolbus.html

busdriver1115

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This event is so sad! I hope and pray that the driver of this bus will have a support group to help with the distress! We are making our mirror grids a PRIORITY this school year as we get back into the swing of this this backs up why we need proper placement of the mirrors! NOT SAYING THAT THE BUS INVOLVED THAT THE MIRRORS WERE NOT SET PROPERLY THIS BACK UP WHAT MYSELF AND THE LEAD TRAINER OF OUR SYSTEM IS TRYING TO GET THE DRIVERS AWARE OF THE SURROUNDINGS!

THIS IS MY SECOND YEAR AS DRIVER TRAINER
Go to Top of Page

busdriver1115

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the support groups can not take away the pain of a childs life that is lost. we can gain an awareness from this concerning how easy this could happen to any one of us and how vulnerable that we are!

THIS IS MY SECOND YEAR AS DRIVER TRAINER
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  07:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busdriver1115

this could happen to any one of us

Let us never forget that fact. EVERYTHING can change in an instant, no matter how careful we may be.
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  10:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My heart goes out to the parents and all persons involved. A few years ago I had to pick up students from a bus that was involved in a simular fatality accident. It has been about 6 years since the accident. It was two years ago that I found out the young mans name.

I want all drivers to do every thing in there power to get this message to parents and kids. DO NOT CHASE THE BUS. IT is better to miss the bus today than to miss the bus for ever.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  10:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of the worst stories I have heard in a while. My heart completely goes out to the family of the girl, and to the driver of the bus, as well as friends and other family memebers. You're right Steve, I too think more stress needs to be put on kids to NOT run along side, or after a bus, missing a bus to or from school is not worth risking a young life.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*

Edited by - Chris on 08/07/2004 10:29:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  12:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The child's name was Marvetta Smith (9), She was killed when her foot got caught under one of the bus tires. Click Here for more information at the In Loving Memory website.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000