Speed Limit for School Buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2001 :  10:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am asking for your opnion on the school bus speed limits.
What are the speed limits in your state?

In Michigan school buses are only allowed to go 50 on the highway and 55 on the express way.

I feel this is to slow, and is unsafe. When you are going 55 down the express way and the speed limit is 70 drivers are speeding around you, and riding your bumper, I feel that would be more likely the cause of an accident than driving 65 and staying with the flow of traffic so when you see my bus going down the express way you will see me going 65-68 mph.

"Thomas Built Busses-The best busses on the Road."

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2001 :  10:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas 86,
I agree with you 100%! Our buses regularly operate on roads where the speed limit is 65-70 MPH. We set our electronic buses to 65MPH max road speed. I, too, believe that we impede traffic by operating at speeds significantly lower than most posted speeds, and this can create unpleasent situations for our drivers.
Joe
Go to Top of Page

tidesinn2

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2001 :  2:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the State of VA school buses CAN NOT go over 55mph. And on some roads they can't be over 45 such as parkways and roads like that. Intersates though it is 55. And Fairfax county sets the governors at 55. Now the old old spare buses where the driver can still take the governor off, well they go over 55 (some still got some life left)! I believe this is a HUGE HAZZARD ON THE ROAD! Everyone else is going 70mph and u can't even keep up with traffic. You can barely merge into the traffic with out getting pushed off the road.I think they should at least let the buses go 65. I heard a stastic once I can't remember it though... it was a few years ago, that if you are going like 15mph slower then everyone else u are at x% more risk of having an accident then if you were keeping up with traffic.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2001 :  6:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks it is safer to drive 65 than it is 55 on the expressway. I have had some people tell me that 55 is safer than 65, (ya on a curvy gravel road).

I can understand the reason for the governor as they don't want us driving 85 because buses don't stop easily, but 65-68 is a safe speed on the expressway under NORMAL driving conditions.

"Thomas Built Busses-The best busses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

pixie

18 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2001 :  7:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you thomas86. May I suggest what I did. ON all my field trips,I sat the teachers in the back seats, and when a tracker-trailer came up close to the rear end of the bus they got scared enough to complain to the school board. Now we can merge at a better speed. They removed the speed limit of 45 to 55,and what ever the speed limit is on the interstate.

Go to Top of Page

pochi

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2001 :  8:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi in ontario we can go 60 but our older buses could only go 50-55. newer ones can go 60-65.this is much safer then going slower but lets face it when you are on a long distance charter it is nice to keep up with the traffic flow. i agree going to slow is hazard.

Go to Top of Page

Durango

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2001 :  05:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drive Interstate 35 and 80 alot here in Iowa and if we didn't go the speed limit which is 65 mph we would be ran over. You must go with the traffic or you shouldn't be on the road. I have been on Interstate 35 during rush hour and have had a semi in front, behind and beside me, and if I were going any slower I would cause a major accident. It is way too dangerous to not go the speed limit.

Go to Top of Page

boomur

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2001 :  2:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In British Columbia we do not have a mandated speed limit. It is left up to the individual districts and contractors. The buses I drive are set at 60 - 65 mph depending on the type of bus. Our van conversion buses do not have any form of Governor on them. I agree with everyone else tho inregards to speed, you should be 5 - 10 mph under depending on the road you are on, its just common sence.

Go to Top of Page

Frank Adkins

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2001 :  5:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Thomas. I drive in Seguin, Texas. My route includes part of interstate 10 and I drive on interstate 35 quit a bit on trips. Here in Texas the laws for speed limits for school buses is a bit bizzar at best. 50 on state owned highways and 55 on interstate and US highways, but iof the bus has a commercial inspection then you can drive 60 on the interstate but only if the bus is owned by a private company. If owned by the school district its back to 55. Crazy huh. Maybe lawmakers one day will realize that we are highly trained professionals. Not incompitant scum.

Go to Top of Page

svhockeyjock

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2001 :  3:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Send svhockeyjock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
On my regular bus run I travel the Penn-Lincoln Parkway East(I-376)5 times a day. My contractor set the governor on my bus at 70 for that reason cuz there are never and i mean NEVER cops on that road and average speed of cars (including myself on the way home from work) is 80. Also coming out of the city that road is a long steady grade up for about 3 miles and our mechanics loosened my accelerator so i get more uphill power and i can easily pull 65 up that hill while passing Laidlaw busses going 40 in the 3rd lane with their 4-ways on. I think Laidlaw has their busses set at 55 cuz even coming back down the Parkway i never see their busses goin over 55. But that road is every dangerous if you cant keep up with the flow of traffic as many people arent paying attention while they fly to work and there have been many rear-enders beacouse of that. But i do agree it is safer to keep with the flow of the rest of the world as long as your not excessivly speeding!!!!!!!

John Scott Boreland
Go to Top of Page

TallyHo

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2001 :  9:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Illinois the speed limit on the interstate ( I-80, I-55, I-39, etc.)is 65 but when you get into the city area of the interstates it goes down to 55.
I agree that we should be able to do 65 so we can go with the flow of traffic and not be a hazard on the road.
I am lucky to be in a state that allows us to do 65.
The Semi's are supposed to be doing 55 too. Ha Ha.
It is much safer to be going with the flow of traffic than to have trucks and cars weaving around you and cutting you off.

Keep up the good work fellow drivers this forum is great.

Liza
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2001 :  6:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
BOOMUR

You say it is common sense to drive 5-10 miles slower than everyone else. I dissagree very strongly! YOu go down an interstate highway with a speed limit of 70 and half the traffic is going 77-80 you go 55 and you butt is going to get run over. I feel this can cause an accident going 55 on an interstate, to the rest of the traffic you are just a pain and they will run up on your rear end and cut in front of you.

I am only supposed to go 55 as it is state law. You won't see bus 98 going that speed-65 is safer. I am not someone that breaks all the laws, but I will break a law if is going to keep my bus safer.

That is my 2 cents boomur. 5 miles slower is allright, but not common sense, when you are supposed to go 15 miles slower than the posted speed limit it is crazy everyone speeds anyways.

FRANK sounds like Texas has DUMB rules what does it matter who owns the bus? And in MI all busses must go through inspection to transport and students. So that doesn't affect our speed limit.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best busses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

AW

52 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2001 :  7:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas86_a

I think that Nebraska can beat Texas with a dumb speed rule, but it doesn't specifically pertain to school buses.

Our only interstate, I-80's speed limit is 75MPH in most areas. I go 80 in my car, and get passed like I'm in reverse by all sorts of vehicles. I believe (but am not certain) that the maximum legal speed for school buses is 65MPH, but most try to keep up with traffic anyway.

Having said that, here's the stupid part: The MINIMUM LEGAL speed allowed on I-80 is....get this: 40 MPH. And some either rural or new to I-80 drivers practice it.

Now that's a "safe" speed differenct, isn't it.....
Go to Top of Page

boomur

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2001 :  5:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My posting refered to 5 - 10 under not 15 - 20 That is suicide no matter when you live, here that speed would equate to between 3 and 6 miles per hour under the limit. In doing this you are going to have a far greater distance between you and the other vehicles thereby giving you a lot more room to stop. And after all we wish that we had the distance half the time, remember safety is the issue.
quote:

BOOMUR

You say it is common sense to drive 5-10 miles slower than everyone else. I dissagree very strongly! YOu go down an interstate highway with a speed limit of 70 and half the traffic is going 77-80 you go 55 and you butt is going to get run over. I feel this can cause an accident going 55 on an interstate, to the rest of the traffic you are just a pain and they will run up on your rear end and cut in front of you.

I am only supposed to go 55 as it is state law. You won't see bus 98 going that speed-65 is safer. I am not someone that breaks all the laws, but I will break a law if is going to keep my bus safer.

That is my 2 cents boomur. 5 miles slower is allright, but not common sense, when you are supposed to go 15 miles slower than the posted speed limit it is crazy everyone speeds anyways.

FRANK sounds like Texas has DUMB rules what does it matter who owns the bus? And in MI all busses must go through inspection to transport and students. So that doesn't affect our speed limit.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best busses on the Road."

Go to Top of Page

larrym

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2001 :  10:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speed limits are a topic of which everyone has an opinion, most of the time different.
What ever the speed limit is on a given highway, all vehicles need to be traveling at the same speed be it 55 or 75 miles per hour.
Why people think setting the speed limit lower for trucks and buses is safer is beyond me. When a vehicle is driving slower than the flow of traffic, traffic backs up and everyone is trying to pass. When the speed is the same the traffic flows along.
Trucks, Buses and Cars should be traveling at the same speed, be it 45 or 75. This would be the safest speed limt.
There is also the problem of the 5 to 10 MPH over the posted limit. This seems to be the ACTUAL speed limit in most drivers minds. So what is the best speed limit? GO WITH THE FLOW! This is what seems to work best for me and most law enforcement personnel I have talked with seem to go with this. I don't think you will find many ploice officers that will pick out a bus, running with the flow of traffic, and stop them if they are running faster than the bus speed limit. And as we all know, your not really breaking the law until you get caught, or so we think.

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2001 :  1:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speed limits are a topic of which everyone has an opinion, most of the time different.
What ever the speed limit is on a given highway, all vehicles need to be traveling at the same speed be it 55 or 75 miles per hour.
Why people think setting the speed limit lower for trucks and buses is safer is beyond me. When a vehicle is driving slower than the flow of traffic, traffic backs up and everyone is trying to pass. When the speed is the same the traffic flows along.
Trucks, Buses and Cars should be traveling at the same speed, be it 45 or 75. This would be the safest speed limt.
There is also the problem of the 5 to 10 MPH over the posted limit. This seems to be the ACTUAL speed limit in most drivers minds. So what is the best speed limit? GO WITH THE FLOW! This is what seems to work best for me and most law enforcement personnel I have talked with seem to go with this. I don't think you will find many ploice officers that will pick out a bus, running with the flow of traffic, and stop them if they are running faster than the bus speed limit. And as we all know, your not really breaking the law until you get caught, or so we think.

I beg to differ. I know someone who got a ticket here in CT for going 49 in a zone with a posted limit of 45. You're not "speeding" unless you're more than 5 over the limit, but the limit for buses is 40.

But here's the real kicker--THE BUS WAS EMPTY!!!

Go to Top of Page

Cliffsgal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2001 :  8:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Cliffsgal an AOL message  Send Cliffsgal a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In California school buses cannot go over 55 mph with passengers and 65 (the normal speed limit here) unloaded.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2001 :  12:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the fact that school buses should try to maintain at the same speed as the posted speed limit (especially on a highway) for safety. If the bus is travelling at 5 or 10 below the speed limit, it can get quite dangerous.

In my state, I believe school buses can travel at the same posted speed limit as other vehicles on the road. On secondary roads, I remember all my bus drivers doing the speed limit or 5 above without any problems--and they were keeping with the flow of traffic too.

On the highway, whether loaded or unloaded, I think the buses are allowed to travel at the posted speed limit which is 60. That is the most local highway in my area. Very few buses travel below 60. Most travel at a speed of 60-65 mph (with passengers). I have also heard of some school bus drivers even managing 65-70 at the most on there buses. (They drive this fast when the bus is EMPTY, of course--they usually drive at this speed when they are going home or back to the bus lot at the end of the day).

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2001 :  7:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Thomas_86- i drive a bus here in TX.. If you have a normal inspection sticker--its 50. 60 for a commercial sticker, but my district seems to think that 50 is fine. i beg to differ- as you all said, 50 in a 70 zone is gonna get you killed, and the worst part, if you are rear ended, you still get penalty points. Thats a crock of crap if you ask me. Also, if the bus is converted into a motorhome, and the title says motorhome, then you can go the posted speed limit. If the bus is a charter bus, you can go the posted limit.

JJ
Go to Top of Page

jthurston

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2001 :  5:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jthurston's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Indiana, it's 55 for Federal and State highways, and 40 for county roads. But on the interstate, I feel a lot safer when keeping with the flow of traffic -- 55-62 mph is about right. I'm glad to see that so many people here agree! It's all in the interest of passenger safety.

Go to Top of Page

akabus6

8 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  03:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Connecticut the speed limit is still 55 on many stretches of our interstate hi-ways.Most truckdrivers say our hiways are the worst in the nation,and having a slow moving schoolbus in the traveling lane is a problem.Add to that the left lane prohibition for the bus and the trucker and you've got a REAL problem.If the schoolbus driver is feeling intimidated because of the traffic flow,it stands to reason that a mistake could be made.I hated the feeling of everyone bearing down on me and yet afraid of getting a ticket,or being reported for excessive speed."Go with the flow,and using common sense" seems to be the best approach so far.However,if I'm not mistaken,Laidlaw still does not allow it's drivers to exceed the 50 mph on many roadways.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  10:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
akabus6,

There is a Laidlaw district near me, and I think the only time they can go over 50 mph, is if they are on the highway.

They usually drive between 55 and 65 in a 60 mph highway zone when their bus is loaded with students, but they never exceed 65 in a 60, unless if their bus is empty. When their bus is empty and they are on this highway, some may go 65, 68, or even 70 at the max. to keep up with the flow of traffic.

They are definitely allowed to drive AT LEAST the minimum speed of 60 mph on that highway though--since the speed limit is 60 anyway. Also, they try to keep with the flow of traffic the best they can to be safe and prevent accidents from occurring. (This usually happens a lot if a vehicle is going really slow or below the posted speed limit on any road.)

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

WayneLifguard44

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know the speed limit here for school buses. I think there should be no set speed. The drivers should be able to keep up with traffic. Here our buses drivers do keep up with the traffic except for the occasionaly older drivers who just go slow which isn't that safe.Sp the bus drivers should stay on a safe speed with traffic.

Wayne Lifeguard44 -Tyler
Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2001 :  10:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am asking for your opnion on the school bus speed limits.
What are the speed limits in your state?

OHIO: School buses must not travel faster than 55MPH. This is also too slow. Our district is located 'deepinahearta' farm country. If I have to pass farm machinery which has magically wandered its way out onto the highway, and is driving at 45MPH, then my bus traveling at even 55MPH will not be able to safely pass.

(Personally, I would like no governor at all... hahaha)

Seriously though, I think 60MPH is fast enough for a school bus -- nevertheless you will always have Johnny Q. Inahurry who just CAN'T be behind a school bus and passes eradically with oncoming traffic. That's just people's nonsensical nature I suppose.

-- Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

DaBusDrivah@aol.com

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  8:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Pennsylvania, the speed limit for school buses is the same as it is for cars. Whatever is on the posted sign, is what you are permitted to go. I drive the Schuylkill Expressway daily,(I-76) and they would chew me up and spit me out if I wasn't going the same speed as everyone else. Matter of fact, speed limits in Philadelphia are something that vary due to congestion, not what is posted on a sign. If the way is open, you may be doing 70. If there is volume, you may be doing 15. I personally would be petrified to have to go slower than everyone else.

Go to Top of Page

bholman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  05:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit bholman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
go with what the law says because any good intention of not empedeing traffic will not save you in a lawsuit
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since this topic had to be resurrected, I figure I'll chime in with an update for the original poster's homestate of Michigan. As soon as I started driving bus, the law was revised that on surface streets we can now go a maximum of 55 (up from 50). On expressways, we may now go a maximum of 60 (up from 55) if the speed limit for general traffic is 70 (our state max). Expressways 65 and below, you default back to 55 though. What I don't like about this rise in speed limit was the accompanied rise in minimum... In a 70(cars)/60(trucks,buses) zone, the minimum is now 55. Great if you're in your average car, but not so great if you're in a bus that does not pull hills very well. Only 5 mph to play with!

I drove a field trip deep into Minnesota once and was surprised to see two lane roads with a 65 mph speed limit. They discussed doing the same thing for some roads in rural Michigan.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 12/03/2012 4:42:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  05:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Oklahoma the speed limit is 55 on two lane highways,on four lane divided highways, interstates, and turnpikes we can drive 65.We are close to Kansas and I talked to a DT from their and they said they drive whatever the postetd speed limit is some of their interstates and turpikes are posted 75.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  5:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, do you remember where that was? I'm only aware of 65 mph speed limits on four lane divided highways. Minnesota has no specific bus related speed restrictions, which is the way it shoulid be everywhere. My coworkers and I always said that the speed limit for a bus is as fast as it will go.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  6:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Peter, it must have been US-2 because we were heading for the Concorida Language Camp in Bemidji. I guess it could have been 60, but I am pretty sure it was 65 because I had the dilemma of "what do I do as bus?!" not knowing MN's laws. Typically I would study up before driving out of state, but this was a "Mike can you make a run to Minnesota in an hour?"
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's 55 in FL, until 1/1/2013 when the speed limit for buses has been REMOVED by the state senate.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  6:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could be right about US-2. I've driven it from Duluth to Ironwood but not the other direction. If you come over again you'll know now that you can follow the posted limit. Anyway, I don't think that the state patrol or local forces look very closely at out of state buses as I see Wisconsin buses driving with their strobes flashing around here all the time. Strobes are only allowed to be used in inclement weather in MN.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

Kenny

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  7:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kenny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ohio now allows buses to go 65 mph on all Interstates and 55 mph on all other roads.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  10:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A loaded school bus doesnt need to travel any faster than 60-65. As a driver you are responsible for someones child. Safety is top priority with me.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000