Court hears arguments over drivers giving meds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jul 22 2004
The Courier-Journal
KENTUCKY - Lawyers presented their arguments yesterday in a suit filed by bus drivers for the Greater Clark County schools who contend they should not be required to administer medications to children in life-threatening emergencies.

School system lawyer Sandy Lewis said after the arguments in Clark Superior Court II that Judge Cecile Blau told both sides that she would try to issue her ruling before the start of school next month.

In a suit filed last year, the bus drivers contended that under state law school employees can't be required to administer medications and that school systems can't discipline workers who refuse to do so.

Click Here for story

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2004 :  06:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
under state law school employees can't be required to administer medications and that school systems can't discipline workers who refuse to do so.

quote:
Last spring, Greater Clark school officials wrote to the 77 drivers saying that if they declined to agree to give "life-saving" care in a crisis the district might decide to give the routes to other drivers.

School officials said that they didn't want to fire drivers, but that the letter was written to comply with a contract requirement.

This sounds like a double standard to me. Protect the teachers, but the bus drivers are expendable.
Go to Top of Page

gwfastsr
Advanced Member

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2004 :  03:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very touchy subject. If something goes wrong with the child after giving medication, is the driver at fault? What type of medication is the driver qualified to give? Does each driver have all of the medicine needed for any type of situtation? I can see first aid and cpr, but come on now, the driver is not a medic.

KEEP YOUR WHEELS ON THE ROAD AND YOUR PASSENGERS SAFE. AND MAY THE GOOD LORD BE WITH ALL OF YOU.
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2004 :  07:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are the para medic ? In Norman para medic can repond to any bus or school in 5 minutes or less. And Believe me they have respond many times.They are highly qualified. Many of our firemen are certified paramedic. Most life threating medication that I can think of our administered by needle. The most common one I can think of is antiplatic shock (ie Bee sting. I don't know of any bus driver that is qualified to give injections and furthermore where is this medication going to be? For my money this is a frevilous law suit that someone is trying very hard to make creditable.
Go to Top of Page

gwfastsr
Advanced Member

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  01:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevebus42

Where are the para medic ? In Norman para medic can repond to any bus or school in 5 minutes or less. And Believe me they have respond many times.They are highly qualified. Many of our firemen are certified paramedic. Most life threating medication that I can think of our administered by needle. The most common one I can think of is antiplatic shock (ie Bee sting. I don't know of any bus driver that is qualified to give injections and furthermore where is this medication going to be? For my money this is a frevilous law suit that someone is trying very hard to make creditable.

But the bus drivers are the ones filing the suit to not do this.
KENTUCKY - Lawyers presented their arguments yesterday in a suit filed by bus drivers for the Greater Clark County schools who contend they should not be required to administer medications to children in life-threatening emergencies.

KEEP YOUR WHEELS ON THE ROAD AND YOUR PASSENGERS SAFE. AND MAY THE GOOD LORD BE WITH ALL OF YOU.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  10:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gwfastsr

What type of medication is the driver qualified to give? Does each driver have all of the medicine needed for any type of situation? I can see first aid and cpr, but come on now, the driver is not a medic.

Exactly - nor a qualified nurse or medical assistant.

The previous story on this issue, this past May, included demanding and threatening bus drivers with termination, if they refused to pull down a child's pants and insert a medicated projectile in that child's rectum, doing this on the school bus with kids on board.

Public school systems virtually everywhere forbid school staff even giving a child an aspirin. We had a bus driver post here a year or so ago that got in hot water for applying a band-aide to a girl's leg.

I can support some medical response from the bus driver, primarily and immediately calling for emergency assistance. The liability is incredible over the simplest things, let alone demands that bus drivers now become paramedics and medical personnel, and perform sensitive medical procedures, all without appropriate expert training, certification and supervision by actual medical personnel. People go to medical school and get licensed to do some of the things that school district is demanding their bus drivers accomplish.

I'm with the bus drivers 100%, concerning this issue, and would think it far wiser for every bus driver, as a group, refuse to comply or even quit rather than work under that employer's abusive demands. (jk)

Click Here to find out The #1 reason school bus drivers quit

Edited by - JK on 07/26/2004 10:26:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000