New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  12:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Navistar now has a repair kit for these pumps(1842906C91)with an improved(longer threaded-oil ferry plug)that works even if the hole is stripped out from the original plug. The pump needs to removed and repaired in a vice due to a check ball that is held in place by the ferry plug. The ball sits in a seat and is bypassed by a rod on the back of the ferry plug that holds it in place. If the ferry plug is removed on the vehicle the ball and another part are flushed out by the oil in the pump and resorvior. The ball is now a serviceable part(1833830C1) and the pump and engine will not operate without it. The kit was $18 and change. A reman pump is $624 with a $150 core charge. The ferry plug should be torqued to 168 lbf-in. The housings strip out if overtorqued, especially with the original shallow threaded plug.

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  3:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe, THANKS!!!!!!!

This is getting PRINTED!

I know ALL about the "ball", I chased it all over the floor Thursday evening, and after 5 tries got it back into place properly and it started right up. BTW, I did NOT remove the pump, and eventhough I "dropped the ball" three times, it only took two hours start to finnish. Needless to say, our customer was VERY pleased at the $$$$ saved.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  12:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IHC has a field service bulletin out on this problem, if you can get it to a dealer they will do it N/C. Why pay for it? It's their screw up, let them pay for it.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

Craftsman

Barbados
19 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  04:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Craftsman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And thank you also,Joe. Yesterday we had an engine that refused to start after some work was carried out on the HP Pump. After reading your article, a hand and knees detective job on the shop floor ,soon located the missing ball.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  04:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we had a nickle for every pump we replaced we'd have two pockets full of money!! NOW we'll have to do it again when/if they fail to use the longer fittings, etc. At least this time it won't have to be done repeatedly. This fix works and we're really glad. We do our own in house warranty, and while being reimbursed is nice, being on the road is MUCH better!!
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

accokeek89

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  11:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit accokeek89's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by rswboe

IHC has a field service bulletin out on this problem, if you can get it to a dealer they will do it N/C. Why pay for it? It's their screw up, let them pay for it.
[/You wouldn't have a copy or know where I could get it do you?]
Go to Top of Page

Skidguy

1 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  08:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Skidguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModMech

Joe, THANKS!!!!!!!

This is getting PRINTED!

I know ALL about the "ball", I chased it all over the floor Thursday evening, and after 5 tries got it back into place properly and it started right up. BTW, I did NOT remove the pump, and eventhough I "dropped the ball" three times, it only took two hours start to finnish. Needless to say, our customer was VERY pleased at the $$$$ saved.

Hi,

I just went through the same problem and can not get the ball back in the right place. I do not want to take everything apart again and was wondering if you could explain to me how you did it with the pump still attached to the engine please.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000