K&N filters on a Crown Bus?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

J.B.

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  8:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi There knowledgeable bus mechanics. I am in the middle of a Crown Bus conversion. I want to relocate the present expensive $77 16 tube air filter on my Crown bus and possibly use a K & N filter instead of the present one. I was thinking of using a K & N filter that is round and larger at the bottom than at the top. I would attach it directly to the air filter inlet hose. Comments please. Is this something that is doable and will it enhance the filter properties of the 6-71 Jummy? Has anyone seen an installation like this or know of one

Thanks, J.B.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  10:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use K&N products on all of my personal vehicles, including my motorcycle and they are great! Don't know how the two-stroke Detroit will react to an oil coated filter element, however. Those engines will run on engine oil when the blower seals go bad and allow the oil to seep past them, allowing the engine to "run away" as it were. I don't think that this is nearly the same issue, just making you aware, if you weren't already. The K&N filter line will provide more air through the same space than conventional filter media, thereby allowing the engine to breath better and make a tad more power. This can probably be acheived in your bus as well, but you'll probably need to enlist some help from the folks at K&N to select the correct unit for your application, etc. They can help with specifics and will probably be intertested in your project as well, give them a call, or email them for tech assistance.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

J.B.

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  4:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wagonmaster. I too personally use K&N filters. I have the emergency air shut off on my DD so not to worry. I will call K&N and see what they reccomend for air flow. tHis will allow me to install the sunken tub..

Thanks, J.B.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  05:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to stray too far from the topic, but is there any way to prevent a DD from running away? I was told that one of our 1989 8.2Ls (in a GMC) had ran away once and destroyed itself for some reason. Would it be for the same reason, even on a more modern engine? Apparently the emergency air shutoff had malfunctioned on that bus because it was used and didn't work. My own bus, with the same engine but in a Ford chassis, does not have an emergency air shut off. Do you recommend I install one? It has a fuel shut off solenoid when the ignition is turned off, but would that work? I had thought the sudden starvation of fuel was the cause of oil to be sucked from behind the rings.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  10:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never seen or heard of any DDA engine running away except the old two stroke version, NOT the 8.2's. You could pull the emergency stop to pop the "flapper" to cut oof the air and they would just pull the insides out of the air filter or worse! If you cut oof the fuel. they could pull oil past the blower seals (if they were worn) and run on the oil! I saw a mechanic pull off a jacket and throw it into the intake tube (no filter during troubleshooting),to shut down a runaway, and the motor sucked it right up and spit the chunks of it out the exhaust!! Runaways aren't fun, but 8.2's aren't likely to have a problem in that area, even though the governor box shares some similarities with the earlier engines.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

J.B.

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  11:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW. Mr Wagon master. I have a 2cycle 671 in my Crown. I just learned something. I am never going to throw my coat any where neare the intake tube if it runs away. I don't know why, but that scene you described just struck me as terribly funny (although I am sure it wasn't at the time). Thanks for sharing.

J.B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000