New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busfan88

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  1:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I am a high school student and a bus fan. This is probably due to the fact that my bus driver is a very interesting character.

The speed governor on her bus does not let her go past 45 mph. When she is going down hills on the highway, she shifts into neutral and can reach 60 mph by the end of the hill. The speed governor is not activated when the bus is not in drive. Also, she goes into third gear for 10 seconds so the RPMs increase, goes back into drive, and shoots forward much faster. Then, of course, she is back in neutral for the remainder of the hill. This is my analysis of what she does.

She has told me that she speeds because she wants to get us home faster, but that is only partially true. She races other bus on the highway. The other drivers do not shift gears and she is able to pass them by using third and neutral gear. She has to use the center lane of the three-lane highway to get around them. Sometimes she uses an exit lane, passes the bus, and merges back in before the exit. She has a lot of fun with this.

Is my analysis accurate? Is this bad for the transmission? Is this a common way to get around the speed governor?

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  2:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummmmm, Ill bite. Yes, she is a interesting charactor. Tell me, do you feel safe on this bus?

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  6:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She maybe having fun, but she sounds like she is putting children's lives at risk.

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  6:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were you, the transmission would be the least of my worries. Why don't you call your driver's boss, tell them this story, and ask if they think its bad for the transmission.

Edited by - Jim on 12/12/2003 6:31:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carpenter
Advanced Member

238 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  8:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Carpenter an AOL message  Send Carpenter an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about your state, but in Texas, coasting out of gear is not legal in any vehicle.

Regardless of legality, it's poor driving practice and is extremely dangerous. I'd say the transmission would be the least of your worries. Downshifting is not exactly a bad thing, when used prudently (i.e. for some engine braking in heavy traffic, etc.), but this driver is out of her mind to be coasting down a hill like that.

And as for the weaving and passing other buses in the exit lane, I can only imagine. If she is indeed driving like this in public and has been for some time, I would imagine she would no longer be driving a school bus. Which is why I have to seriously doubt the truth in your post here. It's not plausible for someone to drive a school bus RECKLESSLY (which is what you describe) and to get away with it for any length of time.

If you aren't lying, report this driver to your district's transportation director and to the local authorities.

UNLAWFUL TO PASS WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH

Edited by - Carpenter on 12/12/2003 9:01:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Vista

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  08:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Thomas Vista an AOL message  Send Thomas Vista an ICQ Message  Click to see Thomas Vista's MSN Messenger address  Send Thomas Vista a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a very interesting character indeed. My driver likes to take sharp turns with her knees while dancing to loud rap music. You'll crap your self from freight but laugh at the same time. My old driver never liked to open the loading doors for the RRs and always ran the gates as they came down. That was the first time I found out how powerful the DT 466E is and how bad the rubber smells from 4 tires when they spin.

Thomas Vista; A view of solid student transportation.

Palm Beach District Schools

Edited by - Thomas Vista on 12/13/2003 08:58:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  12:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From this post and Thomas Vistas, Do we really have to ask ourself why Bus drivers get a bad rap?
It is a crying shame that some drivers don't care about the safety of the children that they are carrying. It is drivers like these that make those of us that do care look bad.

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  12:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there are a couple of people mentioned in here that should be reported to the local authorities for driving the way they do. That SHOULD NOT be allowed. No wonder we look bad

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

CrazyBusDriver78

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  08:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Send CrazyBusDriver78 an AOL message  Click to see CrazyBusDriver78's MSN Messenger address  Send CrazyBusDriver78 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody needs to be F I R E D ! ! ! ! !
I would report it!
Reading this just burns me up!
Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  07:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this person is speeding , she's breaking the law, not counting putting kids in a high risk enviroment. Busfan88 you need to tell your parents, then they need to call the transportaton Drictor in your School District. Do not over look this isue. SAFTY FIRST!!!!

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

FirstStudentKid

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  11:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This bus driver seems to be breaking the rules. Unfortunately, I doubt if the school will care about the driver's performance. Most districts don't believe the kids and would interpret any complaint as a prank or some kind of revenge against the bus driver.

Even worse, the other bus drivers have seen this kind of behave when she passes them and have done nothing about it. Clearly, they feel the need to protect their fellow bus driver.

Anyone have any good suggestions for busfan88 about how to report the problem without causing controversy for himself, his bus, and the other drivers?
Go to Top of Page

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  11:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure thing, David. It's the the first suggestion anyone should have voiced in response to the post.

Busfan, have a thorough discussion about your concerns with your parents. They will likely think it is appropriate to voice their concerns - based on what you've told them - to the appropriate school or transportation personnel.

That should take care of it.

Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busfan,
Do you know how long this driver has been driving this route or how long the driver has been working for the school district?. If you do not feel safe on the bus,I still think the way to approch this would be to talk to your parents then have your parents call the Transportaion Drictor, this is one of his jobs to deal with isues like this. With no names brought up tell him you have a concern on the drivers driving habits.

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  10:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
SHAME ON HER....... and please tell your parents how this woman is driving......sheis going to misjudge the speed of another bus one of these days and kill you all....or not cut back intime and filp the whole bus......i am scared to death for all of you on her bus.......listen you stay behind the seat at all times, it will help protect you some when you crash....and hold on for dear life, this woman is dangrous....have your parents report her way of driving and the bus company will keep your name out of it if ased too.....they need to follow her a few days and see what she is doing....I really am scared for all of you on her routes.....and i do believe this child is telling the truth, i work in dispatch we get calles from the public all the time almost everyday on the driving of some of our drivers and we follow the driver to seeif it is true and 9 times out of 10 it is true....so people are just fools that have no reguard for the lives and safety of others.....it just makes me soooo mad to hear someone say i don't believe you ..... not al school bus drivers are nice careing people that love children, some are just plain nutts...that slipped past inspection....and some are just plain stupid. and that is what this lady is, i would rather believe this child and error on safetys side........ then to think it not true and be proven wrong when the lady crashes andkills a child....

Driving my way to the top, in a big yellow bus...and proud of it.

Edited by - macondriver on 12/27/2003 10:46:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000