Management/Operations
 Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 Bus CB radios
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  1:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do busses (mainly in Ohio, if it matters) use reqular CB radios or closed frequency radios?

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  4:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ours use business band licenced radios just above the 70cm ham band

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  5:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I lived in Clarksville, TN, the CBs on those buses were just regular CBs.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  6:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually my school - which is by Youngstown - can pick up certain radio calls by EMT workers. But majority of the time the wave we use isn't interfering with others around us so we dont' have any problems.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to say that the buses in my county are on a closed frequency.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Vista

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  1:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Thomas Vista an AOL message  Send Thomas Vista an ICQ Message  Click to see Thomas Vista's MSN Messenger address  Send Thomas Vista a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here in Palm Beach County there's a closed frequency CB.

Thomas Vista; A view of solid student transportation.

Palm Beach District Schools
Go to Top of Page

Carpenter
Advanced Member

238 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  3:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Carpenter an AOL message  Send Carpenter an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
We're licensed, closed-frequency...somewhere in the 100 MHz range on the scanner. We pick up drive-thru cordless headsets sometimes. The FCC allows those headsets to broadcast on our frequency short-distance without a license right out of the box...we're licensed for wide area and, if we're within a block of a fast food joint, we get it. If I had a dollar and a cent for every time I heard the "welcome to Taco Bell" bit, I'd be a very wealthy man. We only hear them if we're driving in front of the place. Anyone else hear me on this?

UNLAWFUL TO PASS WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH
Go to Top of Page

FirstStudentKid

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  1:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My First Student base recently went on a charter operation and we were shocked to get a range of 15 miles in good weather. (We have a closed radio that is FCC licensed and no one else is on the channel.)

What kind of range does everyone's CB radio get?
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  6:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
15 miles... that's it?

I have been on trips where the two ways work 40+ miles away!

Go to Top of Page

WI Handy Bus

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  8:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a good day I can be on a trip nearly 50 miles away from base and still hear them....on a bad day I can be 4 blocks away and it will come thru all static.....go figure
Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have no radio system, just cell phones, which don't work in the rural areas very well.

Go to Top of Page

Carpenter
Advanced Member

238 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  4:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Carpenter an AOL message  Send Carpenter an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
50 miles at least here

UNLAWFUL TO PASS WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH
Go to Top of Page

CrazyBusDriver78

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  07:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Send CrazyBusDriver78 an AOL message  Click to see CrazyBusDriver78's MSN Messenger address  Send CrazyBusDriver78 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
50 miles all around the repeater.
Its a closed channel also.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000