Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 tires giving off tar-like smell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rockstar97

147 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  07:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus, a '91 Blue Bird Int. has consistently been giving off a smell that resembles the smell of tar from the front right wheel well. I had my mechanic check into it and he said there was nothing wrong with it. Today, I got off the bus and it absolutely stinks. I lifted up the hood and the inner part of the tire has some residue on it, while the left one doesn't. It is also quite hot underneath there with a bit of steam rising. But the brake lines don't look to be leaking. I'm a little concerned, and wanted to check here to see if you guys have any ideas before I take it back to the mechanic and he tells me to stop crying wolf.

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  09:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello-

You have two possible situations-
If your bus has air brakes possibly the oil or greas seal has failed and is allowing oil/grease to leak onto the brake shoes causing the residue and smell.
The other possibility is that your bus has hydraulic brakes and one or more of the components has failed and brake fluid is the culprit.

Another part of the first scenario is that leaking wheel seals can cause bearing failure and this is something that is NOT good!
Run- do not walk to your mechanic and insist on a more thorough inspection.
Also - speaking as a mechanic- don't scream or yell or otherwise be obnoxious. Be patient yet persistent and you will get much better results. Fresh chocolate chip cookies can also be a useful tool in working with mechanic types. It always works for me.

Good luck
Craig Thoricht

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  09:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... Fresh chocolate chip cookies can also be a useful tool in working with mechanic types. ...

I like that. Excellent advice. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Rockstar97

147 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  6:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I stopped by the yard between charters and had the mechanic look at it. He was concerned about the residue but the brakes were working well. (they're hydraulic, by the way). He had me leave it with him (I took a spare...a very nice spare...), and it turned out there was a broken seal. So it was repaired and I'll have it back Monday morning.

Thanks for your help!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000