School bus seat belts issue may be over
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  11:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you ready for this?

IMMI has developed "SafeGuard(TM)" School Bus Safety Seats with lap and shoulder belts.

According to the press release, "The school bus barrier crash for ICPSTC attendees demonstrated five years of extensive research and over six hundred hours of testing on SafeGuard. Developmental research at CAPE included rollover impact, crash barrier, sled, ride, and durability testing. IMMI engineers also met with parents, safety advocates, state legislatures, school bus manufacturers and school transportation directors listening to all their concerns about child passenger
safety on school buses.

The school bus rollover impact test, conducted on CAPE's one-of-a-kind rollover test machine, demonstrated how vulnerable children could be in a school bus rollover crash. The unbelted crash dummies in the test left their seats and struck the roof of the school bus, sustaining serious injuries, while the belted crash dummies in the SafeGuard seat were safely restrained.

"Unbelted children in a school bus rollover crash are very vulnerable, they look quite similar to clothes tumbling in a dryer as the bus rolls," says Harry Templin, Director of CAPE. "A child in a rollover crash in a school bus is not protected with the current standard. What concerns IMMI is that only 40% of all school bus crashes involve the front of the bus, leaving children unprotected without lap and shoulder belts."

School districts will be able to order the SafeGuard School Bus Seat in the fall of 2001 and parents and children can look for the SafeGuard School Bus Seat on school buses in the fall of 2002."

Here's a link to the IMMI Website:

http://www.safeguardseat.com

This is a great video (Real Player), showing what happens in a variety bus crashes:

http://www.videonewswire.com/video.asp?brand=VN&file=2001060501.rm&stream=rg2

Parents demand for seat belts on the buses is too great to ignore much longer. I've had no problem with seat belts on school buses, since this was what would eventually come anyway -- no problem, provided:

They are installed on "new equipment," and only installed on older equipment when possible to install without expensive modifications;

When installed their use is also required;

Bus drivers are assured, by law and enforceable regulation, the authority to refuse to transport students refusing to follow directions, including the direction to buckle-up and remain buckled as required;

Effective penalties are established for students (as well as school districts) failing to enforce safe and appropriate use of the passenger restraint equipment by students riding the school buses.

What is more likely to happen, at least for a time, is voluntary use excluding the bus driver from responsibility. (jk)

Should America's school buses be equipped with seat belts?
http://forums.delphi.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=2safeschools&msg=320.1
Note: Non members can participate in this poll by clicking on GUEST at login

Edited by - JK on 06/08/2001 5:26:17 PM

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
An immediate problem I see with this system...

It's only for 2 people. A route designed for 72 passengers would require 18 rows of seats, meaning about a 47-50 ft bus. OR, buy 2 buses for what used to be 1 route.

I don't know how much the system would cost to install, and that cost may be justifiable. But the fact that it reduces capacities by 1/3 on all elementary routes, good luck finding the money to buy more buses and hire more drivers.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  4:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

An immediate problem I see with this system...

It's only for 2 people. A route designed for 72 passengers would require 18 rows of seats, meaning about a 47-50 ft bus. OR, buy 2 buses for what used to be 1 route.

I don't know how much the system would cost to install, and that cost may be justifiable. But the fact that it reduces capacities by 1/3 on all elementary routes, good luck finding the money to buy more buses and hire more drivers.

A Scotland contractor, like you, was a little more up front about his priorities. Recently parents began boycotting a school bus because it doesn't have seatbelts. More than 100 people signed a petition demanding that a legal loophole allowing older buses to carry children without safety belts be closed. The owner of the bus company, Ian Cockburn, of Waites of Chirnside, said: "We are a small business and it is all down to cost. I'm not going to spend money if I don't have to."

It will be interesting to hear the industry talk about cost, which is what the bottom line issue may have been all along.

Many of the safety features now on school buses were a result of parents inititives.
Looks like IMMI understands that it is America's parents that will force seat belts on the buses. They have prepaired well to help make that happen. Check out their free bus crash downloads at:

http://www.safeguardseat.com/downloads/index.html

(jk)

Edited by - JK on 06/08/2001 5:04:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  7:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Phil on this one. It would greatly reduce capacities on buses, meaning school districts may have to mearly double their fleet to account for this. I do understand that safety is the number one priority, but many, if not most, places would not be able to handle something like this. It does look like a good idea on paper, but I think it's time to go back to the drawing board.

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  8:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just want to say in my own defense that I'm not placing cost above safety. Safety is definitely the number one priority.

But there are some things you just plain can't afford. The money has to come from somewhere, and if you can't afford anything less than 3 to a seat, then you can't afford it.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  9:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just want to say in my own defense that I'm not placing cost above safety. Safety is definitely the number one priority.

But there are some things you just plain can't afford. The money has to come from somewhere, and if you can't afford anything less than 3 to a seat, then you can't afford it.

Sorry, didn't intend to put you on the defensive. Simply pointing out the likelyhood that cost may have been the issue all along. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 06/08/2001 9:32:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2001 :  09:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And the first time there is an accident that involves driver incapacitation and a student it stuck in their seatbelt and the bus would catch fire, the liability will lie with the driver - as always. I don't too often hear about rollover crashes as much as I do some idiot rear ending a bus or the moron who tries to pass you when there is ice on the ground and slams into the bus, etc...

I think the industry needs to take three steps back and look at how often a rollover occurs and make it up to individual school districts to install them. There is no where on my route where I could roll over, unless I was doing a turn-a-round at 40MPH, and the chances of that happening are between slim and none.

Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

KrazeeGoose

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2001 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am all for safety on school buses. It is my top priority. However, I have already had a bad experience with seat belts. I was transporting students with special needs to a school outside our district. There were 2 elementary kids and 2 high school kids on the bus. (It is a 15 passenger.) I was watching the kids in the mirror. They seemed to be getting along fine when all of a sudden the elementary school boy grabbed the seat belt and whacked the high school boy in the head with it. Luckily, the belt didn't break any skin. Just left a really nasty mark. The little boy did this just to see what it would do. I also drive a route that has 104 students on the roster. This is elementary and high school. 26 of the elementary kids have been diagnosed with ADD. Yes the seat belts would help keep them in their seats, but what about when the other seat belt is empty? It is a weapon. You are constantly loading and unloading. There are going to be empty seat belts. I realize that you should have control over your students, but I don't think anyone can have that much control. Even if they are warned of the consequences of what will happen if they do that with the seat belt, someone will always do it. In my opinion, which probably doesn't go very far, we should keep all the four-wheelers off the roads while school buses are running. They are most of our problems anyway!!!

Thomas/Freightliner 25: