School ID on the Roof
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2001 :  7:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The state I live in was going to make all School Districts have there School ID Number put on the Roof! The State Legislature threw it out! What do you think about this and do you think it's a good idea?

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  07:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What difference would it make one way or the other? I guess I don't see the harm in it... but I'm sure someone did if the legislature threw it out. I'm sure they had good reason.

Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  07:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bus Boy,
Our School Police department wants to put our bus numbers on the roof in two foot black digits, so that they can be seen easily by an aircraft. Would take some time and effort to do this. The only benefit, as I see it, is to check out buses in case of a highjacked or stolen unit. They certainly all look alike from the air, and this would make their job easier. They (school police) haven't volunteered to foot the bill for doing it yet, and we haven't had a problem needing this type of tracking. If something comes up we'll be the scapegoats for not marking the roofs. If we do it and nothing comes up, we'll have wasted a lot of money. My guess is we'll eventually do it when we can afford the price.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  10:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it is a good idea, and yes the reason for this is if the bus is highjacked or stolen, the easiest way to find a highjacked bus is by air, but when all buses look the same from the top it makes it hard to tell what bus you are really looking for.

Did anyone watch the movie on LifeTime it was called The highjacking of school bus CX-18? Just something I thought of- it was on in late February or early March.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  10:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that (route) CX-18 bus was from our district in Miami, Florida, and it was hijacked a few years ago. I dont think it really matters if school bus numbers are on the roof, I mean, if a bus is hijacked, police helicopters are going to be following its path so the roof numbers serve no purpose. Just a pointer, in the movie "Speed", the GMC bus had numbers on the roof.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  3:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Baltimore, our MTA intercity transit buses ( flxible and NABI's ) have huge numbers on all of their roofs

Go to Top of Page

BusBoss

105 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  6:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't have an objection to it. Actually, I see no reason not to.

Go to Top of Page

WayneLifguard44

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  6:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is a good idea! Then if anything happened you can identify the bus from the air.

Wayne Lifeguard44 -Tyler
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  8:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, what do you think about the media and how they would be effected?

Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2001 :  04:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, what do you think about the media and how they would be effected?

I don't think it would affect them one way or another. It might make there helecopter pilots for the TV stations happy.
I don't know about other areas but our radios and that of the neighboring districts are monitored by the local TV stations. It a big joke in Norman. Every time you have a minor fender bender you can expect to see film on chaneel 4 as well as their chopper hovering over the accident scene

Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2001 :  09:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, first we put bus numbers on the sides of the buses. Then we painted them bright yellow and black and even through fancy flashing lights on them to make them more visible. Now, we want numbers on the roof. WHY? the driver's at our location are required to follow their route daily and to stick to the exact route sheet and are not allowed to come off route in the event of traffic or construction unless the office is notified and the driver is given permission. With this in mind, we can find any driver at almost any time during the day for any reason. If a bus is off route, we would be the first to be notified and if in the event of a hijacking, we can easily let the law enforcement agencies know where each bus should be at any time during the day.

I am not for or against the bus numbers on the roof however in transit city buses, i can see a need for them but for our purpose, nope.

Go to Top of Page

mirrorimage

28 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2001 :  1:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit mirrorimage's Homepage  Send mirrorimage an AOL message  Send mirrorimage a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see a problem with it......it would make it easier for a police helicopter to identify a bus in distress or even for the traffic reporters in planes able to identify bus with a mechanical problem to get assistance faster.
It doesn't change the appearance any....so I don't see why it would be a problem.

Buh-Bye
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  5:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was searching back through some old posts and I came across this post. Have any other states besides Massachusetts gone ahead with the large roof numbers. The company I drive for used to just have the fleet number on the front and back of the bus in 2" type, now we also have the "large" numbers on the roof and the fleet numbers on the side of the bus as well. Here's a view from above

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  6:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some distrcits in New York are doing it. I heard it may become a law if not already. Although its hard to see it, this bus has the number on the roof:
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  02:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several of our buses have the numbers on the roof. Not all of them. I believe it is a great idea. Especially when emergency services are looking for a particular bus. I don't see any harm in doing that.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, all of our 1994+ models have it, and those that have had a white roof painted on it (older buses) had their numbers added!
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  4:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The 94 models do have the numbers on the roof in Fairfax and the roof hatches are also outlined by the yellow reflective tape

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  4:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do some states have painting the number on the roof as a law?
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  5:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think it might be the law now, here in MA. All school buses in MA that I come across have the number painted on the roof. It's not like it's a certain district or company doing it -- everyone is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  6:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It should be a law, why not add it if it could help in an emergency, think about it, from up above, it just looks like we have 1,600 cheesewagons roaming around (most have white roofs though LOL) so it is a little something that could save lives!
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  07:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The numbers on our roof's are vinyl and since most of the buses in the fleet start with 2XX, we used narrow 2's and the other two numbers are bold.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000