ASE Certfication
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bus tech 151

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  7:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know if your work place is pushing ASE schoolbus certification for mechanics and techs and if so what do you think and how do you feel about this ?

Thanks bus tech 151

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  05:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We offer an annual bonus of $150 for every ASE test passed. Master Auto/Truck/School Bus Techs get a $1,200. yearly bonus paid during December of each year. (We maintain the entire fleet of 1,800 vehicles, not just school buses) Some guys take advantage of it, some don't bother. We pay close attention to this when job openings arise and promotions are available. Many times the ASE certifications are the difference in getting the next highest level.
Joe

Edited by - wagonmaster on 12/22/2002 05:19:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dodger 405

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  04:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our union is pro certification. We recently negotiated a $200.00 bonus per certification level to be paid annually and an extra $300.00 for all 7 levels. We feel that these certifications provide an added level of proof of qualification and professionalism that the upper level of administrators understand. The added benefit of re-certifing every 4 years assures that the mechanic is keeping pace with industry changes.

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bus Tech,
ASE Certification is in our job descriptions as a requirement however, my district does not give us any incentive to pursue this achievement hence the mechanics do not go through with the testing. I myself am certified Truck and Bus Tech and like the status it gives me and the feeling of accomplishment. I believe it tells others that I know what I am talking about or that the work I do is done by a well trained individual. Trying to convince administration that it is a worthwhile cause is and has been very difficult. They see no benefit from it as a dollar saver.
Brad

Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  07:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It always interests me that employees think taking training or getting certified is for the employers benefit only. If your not interested in investing in yourself and moving forward I'm sure there are others who would like to.

There was one mechanic who complained he wasn't going to get a Master Ase Certification for the companies benifit. He wasnt happy at the time thinking he wasnt appreciated. I told him your not getting the certification for the company but for yourself. I told him we may not see eye to eye on alot of things but take my advice on this one. The certification is yours and it will be with you wherever you go. Yes, he did get his Master certification and Yes, he did leave later and Yes, he did use his certification to help him get a job supervising a trucking shop.

Dont let the lack of support, your ego or even peer pressure hold you back. Take care of yourself and then also become a benifit to others.

PHW

Child Check For Life

Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  08:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I encouraged our mechanic to get his ASE certification and he did. I was very disapointed that our district did not think it important enough to warrant monetary rewards for his accomplishment. I feel one way the certification is important is if there was a lawsuit and there was a question of whether the mechanic was knowledgeable about any repairs on the bus. It would certainly be beneficial to say he was ASE certified.
I think it has given our mechanic a sense of pride in himself, and if he ever gets tired of the low pay here, it will help him get another job. He does a tremendous job for us, I hope he stays.

Go to Top of Page

Dodger 405

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2003 :  03:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely agree with PHW on the subject of certification for oneself. We certified voluntarily, paying our own fees and going to the tests on our own time. It has taken 3 years for the school administrators to agree to a monetary incentive. However, I think the gain is not so much in dollars and cents as it is in the added knowledge the administrators have in regard to what we do and what it takes to do that job.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000