New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2001 :  6:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TEANECK, N.J. — An out of control school bus crashed into a tree and injured two passengers Monday after the driver fell out the vehicle's door. The driver and the two teenage passengers were treated for minor injuries at nearby hospitals and released.

According to The Bergen County Record, the door swung open suddenly, and Enrique Gonzalez, a driver for Taranto Bus Co. Inc., fell out while trying to close it. The bus continued rolling for another 50 feet, jumped a curb and eventually collided with a tree.

Investigators are still unsure what caused the door to come open.

"I haven't seen anything like it in 20 years," said local police officar Walter Haase.

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2001 :  04:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Air door or manual controled?

Did he have his seatbelt on before attempting to close the door, or did he take his seatbelt off in attempt to close the door? If he had his seatbelt on he wouldn't have fallen out.

I am glad no one was seriously injured.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

schoolsafety

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2001 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thing it only hit a tree. Could have been much more serious a situation if another vehicle, pedestrian, gas pump, etc. was involved.

Driver must not have been belted in, I would have to ask why.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2001 :  8:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe this person was not seat belted!!
Sounds like he or she needs a ticket!! For not wearing it!!!

Go to Top of Page

KrazeeGoose

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2001 :  1:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your door flies open, you have a problem with your door. When you have a problem with your bus, you should pull off the road as soon as possible. I always wear my seat belt, so I may have tried shutting my door. If there was no danger of anyone else falling out and there was a way to get the bus off the road IMMEDIATELY, I may have left it open.

Thomas/Freightliner 25: