Warm up time for a bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LaidlawDriverMassachusetts

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  8:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the morning my bus is usually running for about 45 minutes before my route begins. This may seem like a long period but, but the person who starts it goes out in the yard at this time ...and it's either 45 minutes beforehand ..Or if i start it ..It will only be a few minutes that i get to let it warm up..so i take the obvious 45 minutes...THis way it's nice and warm...WShen i shut the bus down and leave for my K route about 3 hours later..I just start it up and leave..same thing before my afternoon routes...Just start it up - let it idle for 20 seconds and leave - is this enough time for a bus that has been used most of the morning to "warm up"? What happens if a bus isn't allowed to warm up..Does it damage the engine ?

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  04:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my "pet" peeves in the transportation industry is cranking and running a cold engine before a "reasonable" warm-up period. Worse than that are drivers that come in late and hold the cold engine at high RPM to build air pressure in a hurry!!!!! That REALLY gets my attention! Any engine, especially a large diesel, needs an amount of time to get the oil flowing thru all the internal components, and the temperature up off the cold "peg" of the gauge before the engine is asked to "work" by pulling a vehicle around under a load. The 45 minutes is unecessary, but perhaps 10-12 minutes, depending on ambient air temperature, would be sufficient. That's about the amount of time it takes to do a good pre-trip inspection, so it shouldn't be a big deal for drivers to allow that much, in my opinion. It may not be "warm" yet, but it should be able to be driven without damage due to temperature concerns.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

CRAZYOVERBUSES

35 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  06:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our system, it is mandatory 15 minutes before you leave and 15 minutes before you cut it off and the end of the day.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  10:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told (well, asked) by one of my supervisors to keep it at about 10 minutes warm-up time maximum. We don't have anything about when we shut the bus down; just park it and turn it off.

If your bus has a block heater, it may help

It's BIG, it's YELLOW, it has RED FLASHING LIGHTS. What part didn't you see?

Ryan's School Bus Yard--www.busman49.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  1:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Idling for 45 minutes is excessive, but if you start it up at the beginning of your pretrip (plus, here at least, the engine is needed for the pretrip) should be enough time to warm it up to run it without damage.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net

This is an industry where people brag about their times for 60-0, not 0-60.
Go to Top of Page

exCYter
Advanced Member

233 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  8:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys probably really don't want to know how your buses have been treated BEFORE you got them.

At a dealership such as mine, with hundreds of stock buses, its simply impractical to let buses warm up when you're jockeying buses around all day. As soon as they start we drive them a few hundred yards to whatever bay we need them to be in.

Then again, we also don't have time to * around so we use starter fluid even on 444's. We haven't blown one up yet!!!

Edited by - exCYter on 11/14/2002 8:47:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000