New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought you might be interested in this story about pupil transportation staff working to ensure the efficiency of their fleets as unforgiving weather conditions and extreme cold temperatures impact many parts of the U.S this week.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/732824/districts-get-school-buses-ready-in-deep-freeze?refresh=true

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  06:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We start our diesels close to an hour before routes and they still just do not heat well. Most of it is due to the drivers and students getting use to the propane buses. but as you know brake downs happen and just in time for the coldest temps we have had in years we have 4 propane buses down..
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
650 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  08:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the driver runs heater fans on low instead of high makes a big difference for heat and the DB level in the bus, we have webasto on the huei engines common rail will start no matter what if it has good batteries also I have my drivers shut all pupil heaters off 10 minutes before getting back to barn (big difference with am starts ) and in the morning no heaters are on while they heat them up(pretty hard to build heat if your cooling the coolant off before the engine can heat it up) and of course no idle all fast idle
problem is a bus needs a bigger water pump(for the 40 feet of junk behind the engine) and dual alternators for all the extra draw(heater fans) this two things would save alot of headache for us

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  12:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenozer

if the driver runs heater fans on low instead of high makes a big difference for heat and the DB level in the bus, we have webasto on the huei engines common rail will start no matter what if it has good batteries also I have my drivers shut all pupil heaters off 10 minutes before getting back to barn (big difference with am starts ) and in the morning no heaters are on while they heat them up(pretty hard to build heat if your cooling the coolant off before the engine can heat it up) and of course no idle all fast idle
problem is a bus needs a bigger water pump(for the 40 feet of junk behind the engine) and dual alternators for all the extra draw(heater fans) this two things would save alot of headache for us

Propane or Gas would make your world an easier place to live.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  04:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The propane buses have nice warm heat within 10-15 minutes of starting them, my drivers that were haters of propane have turned and we have to make them drive a diesel if their bus is in for service.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000