New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  1:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought you might be interested in this story about Blue Bird making electronic stability control (ESC) and backup cameras standard on its school buses.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/732758/electronic-stability-control-backup-cameras-now-standard-on-blue-bird-school-buses?refresh=true

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  03:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At face value, backup cameras sound like a good thing, but they can be terrible at night. I installed one back in 2012 when the state was considering mandating them. They had wanted some people to test them out.

The thing we don't like about it is that there is no ambient lighting sensor, so when you reverse in times of darkness, you get a full-brightness screen popping on over your head. Does anyone have a newer one, has this been corrected?

The camera lens is hazed over now, and the driver says she doesn't really like the thing, so we plan to remove the system soon.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  05:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

At face value, backup cameras sound like a good thing, but they can be terrible at night. I installed one back in 2012 when the state was considering mandating them. They had wanted some people to test them out.

The thing we don't like about it is that there is no ambient lighting sensor, so when you reverse in times of darkness, you get a full-brightness screen popping on over your head. Does anyone have a newer one, has this been corrected?

The camera lens is hazed over now, and the driver says she doesn't really like the thing, so we plan to remove the system soon.

I've seen videos of some of the newer ones and they look pretty good.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal. I was hoping it had evolved some since way back then.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  09:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I bought a Thomas and had the dealer install a back up camera . I think it's a great feature and seems to have a great picture
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000