Donaldson emission question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Back a few years ago EPA paid to have Donaldson mufflers put on that have filters . Inside the bus is a monitor that tells how the system is doing . A red light for service now , another red light for park bus and a yellow light for have system checked out . I have the red light for service now . How critical is this ? Also there are tools to check system and then reset system . The word I have gotten is this is before we dealt with the newer DPF's . Where can I buy the tools and parts ? Do I really need to worry about this ? Thanks

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  10:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
were these units equipped with emissions before these Donaldson filters were installed and this monitor system is just for these Donaldson filters
If this system runs like all other oem systems a service light would either mean in needs a regen or needs to be removed and cleaned(both ways will lower the delta p reading across filter medium) but with oem it would start derating engine performance
Now for tools and stuff if its oem stuff would either INSITE or NEDS with the Donaldson they must have their own tools or scan tool
Only issue you can come into is excessive exhaust back pressure or melting of the particular matter in the DPF

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  10:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not knowing to many specifics, it sounds like DPF's with the restriction monitors. If it's red, then your exhaust is plugged up. On our system, we will now pull the trap centers and cook them on the trap cleaner. After they cook, they get vacuumed out of soot, and then reinstalled.

Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  10:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engine/filters/emissions-retrofit/
Donaldson software download page with all manuals and specs
enjoy

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  11:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do a Google search for "Donaldson P484891" and look for a PDF for the EDM kit and tools to work on them. That's the one I use. I got my reset tool from my Freightliner dealer from Donaldson. P/N P231740.

You may need to get the units cleaned if you're getting steady red.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  12:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What this is a system that donaldson made for buses that didn't have much of an emission system . They put a muffler on that had a filter and tapped the exhaust and installed something to read the pressures . Hence a monitor on the dash . Right now it is on a 2002 TC 2000 with a 5.9 Cummins . So you all have given me some great info
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  1:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question, are you in the SCAQMD in California? Does the "Back Pressure Monitor" show that it is a Hewitt Industries Product?

Edited by - 40ngone on 12/11/2018 1:21:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  2:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
no to each question . There is no monitor to show anything
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the Donaldson DPF's but we have a few of the Therm-A-Cat DPF's and they will flash a red light every 1000 hrs to tell you to clean them. Even if there is nothing wrong and they are not plugged, they will still flash red. The light can only be turned off with the software. I bought the software & connector through an area Kenworth dealer.
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  07:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some of those early retrofit jobs had a basic computer embedded in the wiring harness. Look for a fat spot in your wiring harness. You might have to follow the wiring back from the pressure sensor.To reset those, key on and run your magnetic pickup tool down the side of it.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  12:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just tried the magnet and it didn't work . I also tried to find the cables and reset tool . Now where to be found . Anybody got one they want to loan or sell ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000