Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 fuel gauge intermittent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  06:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2002 Thomas Saf-t-liner that the fuel gauge is giving me fits. Almost every morning when the driver starts the bus and leaves for route the fuel gauge stays at empty. Every other time the bus is started it operates fine. I can never get it to act up for me in the shop. I have replaced the sending unit but the driver sill has problems with it almost every morning. From what I can see with the wiring without a schematic looks good, all other gauges operate as they should. Has anyone had a similar problem that can give me any hints? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
650 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  08:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
had a fuel gauge acting up in a 2005 FRtl. school bus(Thomas body) with a CAT ended up being the ICU ( well we swapped it out with a junker and the gauge never acted up again) the wiring from sending unit up to firewall tested A-ONE

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluenozer what CAT engine did your bus have? Mine is a 3126, my wiring doesn't seem to go back to the engine compartment (rear engine bus), it seems to go forward.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
650 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  03:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep but all buses we have in our fleets are pullers not pushers
only pushers that I've worked on would be MCI and Prevost coaches
3126 are the CATS we run also years 2005 and 2007
well the sending unit wires should go from tank to the ICU all engine data should be on its own data link i think, pretty sure due to the 2010 C2's still have the wires from tank to dash

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000