Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  9:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.buscrazy.net/upload/L434.htm

Go to the 6th photo down (the one below the photo of the doors open)... There's a huge metal thing where the automatic transmission shifter would be. It looks like a gauge of some sort, but I have no idea what is does (neither does 86-a). Can anyone help out?

Ryan's School Bus Yard--www.busman49.com
RSBY gift shop--www.busman49.com/store.html

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  9:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like a tachograph. My 1969 Crown had one; except it was black, not silver.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  10:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote

I'm guessing its Tachometer as well. I bet that bus is a piece of art to 86a...Thomas International, 5speed, and it looks to be gas powered. Nice bus!

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  10:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You were correct on that BusFreak, I just love those Thomas/IHC Gas/Manuals, it just drives me crazy everytime I see a Freightliner/Thomas.

We have only three bus companies left, and currently now only two chassis manufacturers, I miss the days when you could pick what chassis you wanted, and what body you wanted on that chassis.

"America's #1 Conventional School Bus- Thomas/International."
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  06:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a tachograph?

The locust are singing louder and longer -- you know what that means!
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Tachograph is a recording device that will record the buses speed relative to the time of day. Commercial buses used these for years to check on their drivers speed on their routes, as did some school districts, obviously. Most had a key that would lock the cover after a piece of special graph paper was installed to log the recorded information. This would keep drivers, or anyone else, from tampering with the paper or the device until someone at the end of the run could unlock it and retreive the completed graph and examine it. Hope this helps.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  12:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say a tachograph,unless it is very weird looking replacement guage (probably not very likely though).
Silas J.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  1:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received an e-mail saying it is, indeed, a tachograph (and the guy said he had one like it sitting in his garage). Thanks for all the help!

Go to Top of Page

International_02

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  5:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Stick Is for The Transmission and the pedal is the clutch to shift.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  6:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Cool it has brake pedals for both feet. But why did they put that straight sticky object right in the way so you can trip over it

Those brake pedals for both feet are useful when a child tells you to STOP RIGHT HERE

Go to Top of Page

LaidlawDriverMassachusetts

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a good looking bus, My question is ,,DO all thomas busses, with manual doors, have that awkward door mechanism, with the metal lock thing on the bottom, We have two thomas small busses at my yard and they have those, THe small amtrans have the black thing that you push up with your thumb to open the door,,, It looks more dificult in the thomas busses

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  8:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the metal lock on the Thomas doors are very easy to work. Just push down with the end of your wrist on the lock,and open the door (and they aren't that heavy).Oh,and I used a few Wayne doors today,and I don't have any problems opening them/closing them.
Silas J.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  9:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not every Thomas bus had the lever you had to push down, my old 86-A had a spring where the arm connects to the door handle, and that created enough tension to hold the door shut. This setup was very easy to operate, and I really liked it. Now all Thomas buses with manual doors have a lever you push up with your thumb, they no longer have the silver levers.

"America's #1 Conventional School Bus- Thomas/International."
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  8:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have a few Thomas/Freights that have the metal piece on the bottom that you have to push down with your wrist to open the door. Those buses are fully locking, and to unlock the main door you have to turn the key in the latch to the right of the door; then turn the latch like a door knob and the metal piece at the bottom of the door handle pops down and the handle swings out, opening the door. Can you still open a locked door like this with a new Thomas with the piece that you have to push up with your thumb? If so, how does it work?

Go to Top of Page

davestarr

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  3:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit davestarr's Homepage  Send davestarr an ICQ Message  Send davestarr a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A Tachograph is a recording device that will record the buses speed relative to the time of day. Commercial buses used these for years to check on their drivers speed on their routes, as did some school districts, obviously. Most had a key that would lock the cover after a piece of special graph paper was installed to log the recorded information. This would keep drivers, or anyone else, from tampering with the paper or the device until someone at the end of the run could unlock it and retreive the completed graph and examine it. Hope this helps.
Joe

Correct in all respects, Joe. Tachographs used to be very common in the long haul truck industry too. Most common;y known to a trucker as 'Sneaky Pete', because it would just silently watch and then report to the boss how the driver had performed.

Very rare today, bus and truck maganagers who want to 'catch' the bad apple drivers and protect the good drivers reputaion can opt for a GPS vehicle tracking system.

http://www.talarsystems.com
Protecting America's
Most Precious Cargo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000