New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  9:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need help from the mechanics here.
I own / have a 2004 Freightliner with a Cat C7 engine. Thought I had a starter issue for the second time this year. I bought a brand new one. Now all I get is a click like a Selinode. ( if I take a jumper wire from switch post to hot post ) it will start and run.

Previously when I’d go to start it if hear a clicking sound as if the batteries where dead. ( brand new batteries ). But it would start up. This was before the new starter.

Is there a fuse or a relay I’m not thinking of that could be going bad and now has gone bad??

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  05:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the emergency door have a vandalock dead bolt? If so, is it unlocked and/or make sure nothing wrong with that circuit

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  06:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have power at the main "hot" wire on the starter? Do you have power at the switch wire when someone turns the key on? If you do, the starter relay is working as it should. If the bus doesn't start then you either have a bad starter or bad connections positive and ground at the starter.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I do. Anyone have a photo or diagram of what wires are on what posts? Wondering if my helper has something not wired just right.. Replaced the relay solenoid mounted on coolent tank. Still no fire. It will fire when you jump the switch side at the starter to the hot post at ththe starter.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  12:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember finding a broken wire once near that relay on coolant tank. Also had trouble with a few on the pass through connectors in the cowl area. ( passenger side) They break.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2018 :  12:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont no if this will help but make sure its all the way in park i just fought a blue bird with simular problem and the shift cable was freyed and would not go all the way in park just a thought
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2018 :  7:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was wire on wrong post. And also a loose connection.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000