Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 '95 8.3 Cummins air throttle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  2:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is probably older than any of you are dealing with but.....

My air throttle response is too snappy, especially from idle to takeoff, literally takeoff!

This is my [fuzzy] picture. The top hole that has an arrow is broke. The rod has always been in the current holes. I'm not sure if thats where they belong or not. Can someone offer some insight on this? Thanks.

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  3:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 94' 8.3 that had the same issue. The rod looks like it's in the correct place but it looks like you are missing your return spring. That was the issue with mine, installed the new springs and worked fine. I have continuous problems with the springs breaking and the sudden acceleration is usually the indicator. The spring should go in that broken hole and then attach at the bolt in the black bracket at the bottom right of your picture. Mine is a little different from yours though, so I could be mistaken on the placement of the spring.
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  4:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK. It didnt have a spring when I got it and it was wild! I have a spring on that back bolt, just behind the end of the rod. You are talking about the bolt at the bottom of the photo I think. I can even fix the broken hole. 1 spring is enough or keep the existing one too? Top right of photo.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  4:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mechanical throttles should always have 2 springs. That solved 80% of my air throttle problems back in the day. Is a spring still under the pedal itself?
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  5:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep...try adding a spring or 2. Had the same issue with an old CAT engine.
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  8:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, good to know. I'll re-spring it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000